Reef Aquarium Testing: Are you really using all those tests?

How many different types of tests do you actually test (use) on your aquarium? Not Owned!

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • 2-3

Votes: 96 22.7%
  • 4-5

Votes: 145 34.4%
  • 6-8

Votes: 145 34.4%
  • 9-10

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • 10+

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Minhaj Qazi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Ca Rx
So Only Alk , No3 and Po4. Weekly.
inbound6540999948790631249.jpg

Jwink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident tests Alk, Cal, Mg. I manually test Nitrate and Phosphate using a Hanna checkers. I'm not going to count the occasional ICP tests.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do test a lot - mostly because Im still within the first year - so Im attempting to achieve some level of stability in order to keep my corals healthy. I suspect that as I move later into year 1 and on towards year 2 I can reduce the amount of testing.

Right now I test N03 PO4 at least 1x a day, sometimes 2x depending on whats going on.
Calcium 2x a week
Magenesium 3x times a week
Iodine 1x a week
OLI/Water clarity 3x a week
Alk: 3x a day
PH: Probe - tests multiple times a day
Salinity: Multiple times a day with probe - and usually 2-3x a week to check probe accuracy
Par testing: Usually about 1X a quarter
Temperature: I double check my temp probably 1x every 2 weeks to ensure that the probe is accurate

Other tests kits owned: I own copper, but dont use it that often. I also own most of the Hanna test kits which since the MasterTronic came along, I dont use as much anymore. In addition, I own several Alkalinity test kits to cross reference accuracy given issues I was having with the KH Director.

All that being said - the MasterTronic has been a great help in this regard to see the trends, and stay on top of the testing.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I hate testing and do as little as possible. Mine is a high nutrient tank by design with easy coral and I do weekly water changes to ward off most problems. This has worked for me, although I have avoided sps because I hate to test.

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once a week salt ammona nitrite 2x a week nitrate ph alk ca mg i would say there are 8 tests a week the only thiing i see high is alk around 13 just did a a 12.5 gallon water change i want to bring it down to around 9 so i will keep trying just want to say i will be getting a dosser soon. sometimes i get to crazy working on the tank so we will prevail

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once a week salt ammona nitrite 2x a week nitrate ph alk ca mg i would say there are 8 tests a week the only thiing i see high is alk around 13 just did a a 12.5 gallon water change i want to bring it down to around 9 so i will keep trying just want to say i will be getting a dosser soon. sometimes i get to crazy working on the tank so we will prevail
yes i do and sometimes the drops in the API make a mistake with the drops test kits then i test with salifert products some times i check both in the same day because sometimes the drops goto fast to count so then the salifert comes out

Back