Reef Aquascaping

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to use the method of reef building guru, André Silvestre. His aquascaping is simply one of my favorites and his masterpiece is just so well done. A large island surrounded by a smaller island-chain gives this tank a very unique look. With many nooks for fish to swim through and hide in.
Bleacher-effect.jpg

My new tank has similar the dimension and corner left overflow. Here is my rock work I roughly put together. If it look good. I remove extra rocks that hold temporary and apply E-marco-400 mortar.

What do you think or any suggestions?

Thank you.

IMAG0486.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

IMAG0487.jpg

IMAG0498.jpg

IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0494.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it looks great! Are you going to partially bury the edges of the rock in sand like he does?

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it!
You may want to add some foundation rock under your display rock, so it rises out of the sand. Unless you are going bare bottom then disregard my suggestion.

OP
OP
thanhreef

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks great! Are you going to partially bury the edges of the rock in sand like he does?
Thank you. Yes, I am going to add about 1-2 inches of sand.

I like it!
You may want to add some foundation rock under your display rock, so it rises out of the sand. Unless you are going bare bottom then disregard my suggestion.
Cool. Thank you.

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I have had numerous tries with mine and just can't get satisfied. I wish it was dry rock when I got it so I could have done it like you are. I love that top tank, very nice depth. Can't wait to see pics of yours under water ;)

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the potential! fish will too I am sure! I like the same kind of scaping. my 6 ft tank is built from L to R like a long hill that peaks off and becomes a cliff where my scallops have mounted. i use 6inches of sand Fine on the outside, and coarser in the middle and almost like a pathway up the hill I sprinkled sand...GiJoes could have quite a battle on on it haha. I like to pretend I am a fish or shrimp when aquascaping. Its good to make large caves that all the fish fit in and small caves for the little guys to hide in away form the larger flappers. I cant wait to re aquascape next week, Also will share, however all my rock is established, so it will be an underwater build.

Skeeter7424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this looks amazing! Makes me look forward to my next upgrade so I can really put together my rock formation!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rock structure that you created!!

OP
OP
thanhreef

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much appreciate your feedback. I am going to use Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand. I think I'd go with 1" sand bed. It is easier to clean, stay clean and just enough to cover the bottom.

GuvNa-Ci-H2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great but there are two pieces that, to me, dont look natural. The piece on the top right of the scape and the middle to the left of the scape where it joins the two pieces. I would maybe turn the rock to make a arch formation.

GuvNa-Ci-H2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great except for two pieces. The one on the top right of the scape and on the left, bottom middle that seems like it joins two pieces together. I would maybe turn the rock to form an arch for fishes to swim threw and coral placement.

OP
OP
thanhreef

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final Rock Work

I did spend few hours on weekend and last night. I finally think that's it. There are many nooks for fish to swim through and hide in and there are spaces for corals to sit on. I will touch up here and there when I put rock in tank.

E-marco-400 Mortar from MarcoRocks is great. I really love it. It's very to easy to use. I mixed a small amount of mortar to glue some rocks in the small islands. Within 30 minutes, the rocks are adhered together very well.

Tank will be in the corner so the front & right side are viewable.

IMAG0506.jpg
to

IMAG0507.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0535.jpg

IMAG0534.jpg

IMAG0555.jpg

IMAG0549.jpg

IMAG0551.jpg

IMAG0552.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

IMAG0540.jpg

IMAG0548.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to look great in the tank!!!

FireWater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I was fixing to start a thread asking for scaping ideas on a new build, but I found your thread. Thanks for the ideas.

I have used the acryl and emaco the last couple of tank builds and it is a very nice way to work out what you want and provide stability.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back