Reef care on crutches

Gregpetro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any tip and tricks on taking care of your reef on crutches. I'm an emt and got injured at work and I'm finding it very hard to do maintenance. It's a reef/fish tank and my lfs has been amazing about bringing the water to my car. Does anybody have tips on easy ways to do water changes as I'm 4 weeks behind and lost a one of my fish. I'm not able to put any weight on my left leg so any suggestions would be very helpful I have run out of ideas.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hose/ gravel vac to siphon water out.
And to replace clean saltwater use a pump and hose ( small few metres of hose if water in bucket next to tank)
Or long hose if water far away.
Can also buy some kind of dolly or make a diy roller ( just some wheels like get on bottom of chairs/ couches into some wood) to move water closer to tank)
Can get some pumps with the inlet close to bottom so sucks nearly all water out.
But to save carrying water you get from lfs from your car into house,it would be best to get your own rodi.
You can pay someone to install it or ask a friend / family member to do it.
Basic diy skills only needed,use compression fittings so only need 2 spanners/ pump pliers to put fitting on copper pipe or can get screw in fittings that literally clamp/ screw into your water mains ( im a plumber and cant stand these) upfront cost of rodi is main cost but sediment and carbon block filters literally couple off pounds and only need changing every 3- 6 months depending on usage and membranes last couple off years they say then get colour change di resin to show when needs changing and after a bit your rodi unit pays for itself and you save money and you know your tds is actually 0 and not putting amnonia in your tank because lfs not replacwd di resin etc etc.
But basically use tools/ aids to help you and make easier and save your back also

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Python water change system may help. Most LFS offer maintenance services also.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something like this where inlet very low down and takes all water out except last few cm's but depending on run / length of hose and if pumping up a different level/ head then check rated head pressure etc

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dolly or something similar but i guess you going be on crutches for what 3 months or so ?
Couldn't a friend or your partner if you have one help you?
Or pay a young family member a little money to help you for short time you on crutches ( guessing only be short time )

Back