OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's look at magnesium incorporation, and how that might impact the answer. We'll start with a "worst case" analysis, usign the organisms that incorporates the most magnesium that I am aware of:

Calcareous alga Corallina pilulifera
Assessment of calcareous alga Corallina pilulifera as elemental provider
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0961953498000841

"The major elemental composition in C. pilulifera is as follows: sodium 0.13%, chloride 1.75%, magnesium 4.37%, calcium 18.4%, iron 0.31%, and carbonate 28.5%."

Assume we add 1000 mg/L of CaCl2. That doses 639 mg/L of chloride and 361 mg/l calcium.

If we incorporate all of that into calcium carbonate, then by the above paper, we would also incorporate 4.375/18.4 x 361 mg/l = 85.8 mg/L magnesium.

To balance the Ca (361 mg/L, 9.01 mmolar) and magnesium (85.8 mg/L, 3.53 mmolar) we need 9.01+ 3.53 = 12.54 mmolar carbonate, and hence, 2 x 12.54 = 25.08 mmolar sodium (since there are two sodium ions per carbonate in sodium carbonate). That equals 577 mg/L sodium.

I chose to base all the subsequent calculations on the amount of sodium added because it is the limiting element. No additional sodium is needed in any possible NaCl free salt mix, while, as noted earlier, you do need more chloride and cannot base calcualtions off the chloride added.

So we have 577 mg/L of sodium added. How much magnesium and how much sulfate are needed to exactly offset that sodium addition to leave a seawater ratio?

NSW has 10,800 mg/L sodium, 2700 mg/l sulfate, and 1280 mg/L magnesium (roughly). We will use this ratio.

Using 577 mg/L sodium, and matching that ratio, we must add

577/10,800 x 2700 mg/L of sulfate = 144 mg/L of sulfate.
577/10,800 x 1280 mg/L of magnesium = 68.4 mg/L of magnesium.

That, of course, is the answer when no magneisum incorporation is account for: more sulfate is needed by about a factor of two.

BUT, we also incorporated magnesium into the calcium carbonate, depleting it from the water and leaving a less than NSW ratio of magnesium. If we really want a NSW residue, we must add more of it, and we calculated above we have to add and ADDITIONAL 85.8 mg/l of magnesium.

That incorporation means that to provide a true NSW ratio, we need to add a total of 85.8 mg/L plus 68.4 mg/L = 154.2 mg/L of magnesium.

That makes it the largest component on the list of ions that I posed in this question.

in a real reef tank, is the magnesium incorporation that high? Almost certainly not. Unless nearly all incorporation is by coralline algae, the ratio is likely to be much lower. Sulfate is still likely to big winner here in a reef application, but it shows that the intent of the product could impact the answer. [emoji4]

Last edited:

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the incorporation of magnesium into calcium carbonates it depends from the calcium carbonate modification formed. Scleractinians form aragonite. The magnesium concentrations of the formed aragonite are very small (o.1 to 0.3 %) and may be ignored. Corallinaceous algae form magnesium calcite and the magnesium incorporation may be 3.5 to 6 %. Growth of Corallinaceans seems to vary with trace element supplementation and presence or absence of organic substances. Like most macro algae Corallinaceans seem to depend on certain bacteria.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back