Reef Cleaners Experiences

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order for a 90 gallon clean up crew snails/hermits.. Needed to replenish after the population slowly dwindled.. Ships Monday, should arrive Wednesday ... Anyone have good\bad experiences with reef cleaners ??

Reef cleaners is a great place to get clean up crew and random inverts. If you have any issues John will take care of you.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great service! Everything arrived alive. However, I got about 40 snails (nerites) and as soon as i put them in my tank they all went to the top corners of my tank and stayed there. Every time i move them back to the rocks, within a day they all have moved back into the corners at the top of the tank. So those guys were a wast of money.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I buy all of my clean up crew from Reefcleaners. John is great to work with and I've ordered from him several times over the years.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great service! Everything arrived alive. However, I got about 40 snails (nerites) and as soon as i put them in my tank they all went to the top corners of my tank and stayed there. Every time i move them back to the rocks, within a day they all have moved back into the corners at the top of the tank. So those guys were a wast of money.

Nerites only move during the night. During the day they sleep in the top corners of the tank.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've ordered from him twice. First time a few dead snails. The second time all dead. Took over a week to arrive because he ships USPS. I puked a couple of times because of how nasty everything in the box was. I won't be using him again.

Where are you located? Reefcleaners is based out of Florida. Perhaps there is some place closer to you that sells clean up crews?

USPS delays are commonplace these days (it's been all over the news) but my last two orders from Reefcleaners this month arrived in two days time shipped USPS Priority Mail. That's from Florida to Illinois. Everything arrived fine. No issues.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? Reefcleaners is based out of Florida. Perhaps there is some place closer to you that sells clean up crews?

USPS delays are commonplace these days (it's been all over the news) but my last two orders from Reefcleaners this month arrived in two days time shipped USPS Priority Mail. That's from Florida to Illinois. Everything arrived fine. No issues.
I have ordered from IPSF and LiveAquaria multiple times and no issues. I will continue using them, everything comes in happy and healthy. I have ordered MacroAlgae from Florida a few times and everything came in healthy as well. I'm sure ReefCleaners is good, but I have had bad luck with them twice and refuse to use them again. The partial refund was the final straw.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefcleaners is great, one of the only places I'll buy cleanup crew. Ive also gotten great stuff from floridapets.com and live-plants.com, although nobody can beat reefcleaners selection.

FYI cleanup crews from wholesaler based vendors are just about the most highly marked up items in the industry. Collector-based vendors are by far the way to go here.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nerites go up to the top a LOT when first added to the tank. Give them a week or so with a lid on the tank, and they'll adjust and do it less. They do still mostly move around at night, though. They're good cleaners.

I'm in Texas, I've had several orders from him trying to get my CUC balance right, and everything has arrived in 2 days. Even when USPS said it woul take 3. The only DOAs I've had have been limpets, which makes me think maybe they just don't do well in priority shipping.

My only real complaint is that if you order dwarf ceriths, I think whoever packs them just takes an ice cream scoop to add them to your bag. I get a bajillion every time. Which is great! But when all these tiny babies mature, I'm going to need to rehome them.

I've also gotten some pretty good macros, a nice ricordea florida, two mime crabs, and some micro decorator crabs from him, in addition to the general cleanup crew.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My only real complaint is that if you order dwarf ceriths, I think whoever packs them just takes an ice cream scoop to add them to your bag. I get a bajillion every time. Which is great! But when all these tiny babies mature, I'm going to need to rehome them.

^ Truth! I ordered 7 dwarf ceriths recently and probably got 35 - 40 in total...ended up giving a bunch away to get rid of them. LOL

Meloco14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from them last month. I would order again, but not until the weather cools down. As mentioned, he ships usps, and my shipment was delayed over the weekend, so ended up taking 5 days to arrive. I was tracking it the whole time, and in contact with John, who just kept saying to let him know how they were when they arrived. Amazingly the nerites survived, and a few dwarf ceriths, but nothing else. His DOA policy states you have to wait 3 days because snails can go dormant in shipping. I didnt want to put these dead snails in the tank obviously so I put them in a bucket of tank water with a bubbler for 3 days. The smell was unbearable after the first day so I just dumped them. After giving him the final death toll he offered to replace or refund, and I chose replace. He shipped out the following week, and the package arrived as scheduled in 3 days. I acclimated following his instructions. Only 2 of the 10 or so nassarius survived. Only 3 of the 10 or so ceriths survived. All the astreas and most of the dwarf ceriths survived. And this was with on time shipping. I did not bother contacting him again for another replacement or refund, as I was just done with the whole situation. I think the shipping method is the issue more than the product. These days usps is just slow and unreliable. I am only a 3 hour drive from reefcleaners and usps still took 3 days. According to tracking the package spent an entire day just sitting in a warehouse an hour from my house. I would order from him again because of the selection and affordable prices, but not in the heat of summer. I wouldn't say the service was bad, but I also wouldn't say the service was amazing. Just my experience.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall a good experience. The main thing I care about is the fact they keep their inverts in fish free systems. They have a diverse selection as well which is nice.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back