Reef crystals or instant ocean for sps reef

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using RC for approx 2 yrs. I got frustrated with the numbers and residue left behind with RC. Made the switch to Tropic Marin pro..very happy with results and the mixing is crystal clear .

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always understood RC is ment for people that have small amounts of coral and do water changes instead of dosing. It mixes up exteremly high at like 12+ alk. I would in my oppinion never ever use RC if you are trying to maintain an alk of NSW-9.00 dkh would only be causing ur alk to spike every WC.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Reef Crystals for over twenty years. That being said I was having trouble with stony corals over time so after watching the video from macna where Triton tested salt mixes I switch to Tropic Marin and have never looked back. Mixes better , clean no residue in the mixing bucket , salt creep around the tank is better and most of all all my coral look the best it ever has. Very happy with the Tropic Marin.

What were the Triton Test Results for Reef Crystals?

What Problems were found that affected Hard Corals?

Tapio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO, it is well priced and a good salt. No gimmicks. I have Triton tested my water and the only element that's really too high is Lithium, but that seems to be the case with most American salts. It is not high enough to cause problems. I used to use Tropic Marine but it is too expensive now.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for posting that.

One Question though.

What Salinity do they measure it at?

I bought a Bucket of Red Sea (Regular not Pro) to try out since they advertise 7.7 Alkalinity.

I made a batch and it tested 9.8 not the 7.7 advertised.

Then I read the fine print under the 7.7

It said at 1.035 Salinity it is 7.7

Well what good is that when most people have a Salinity of 1.026

I wasted money on that bucket.

At least it was lower Reef Crystals though.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I always assumed no matter the Salinity the trace elements always turned out the same.good question I use red sea pro and it says 1.025

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Im changing salts. Been using red sea coral plus for years. Did a triton test that yielded some elevated metal results. I blame the salt. So whic should i go with?

I'm a fan of Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals so I could probably give you reassons to switch, but I still have to question putting so much onto one odd test result.

No. I wish i had a control. Ive had problems sustaining stable alk and many of my colonies have rtn or stn over last few months. Thought id change something since everything else stays constant

RSCp isn't exactly unpopular. Unless you've seen others using that salt experience the same issue, I'd be looking elsewhere for your problem.

RTN-type symptoms always begin with stressed corals, and that stress is usually from an unstable tank (in one or multiple ways). From several accounts, it's likely that most of us with older tanks have some elevated metal levels (myself included) but RTN is very uncommon. (Never seen it in one of my tanks.)

I've always used RC, but I like the argument presented for using IO. There is always a big swing in alk after a WC, and maybe a salt that was less alk loaded would be a better bet for stability (those of us that are dosing are relying on the continual dose to maintain stability anyway). Good thoughts!

This "big swing" that keeps being mentioned is because of going too long between water changes or inadequate dosing in between changes...not the formulation of the salt. Switch salts and you'll have the same "big swing", just at a lower point on the alk chart...and possibly dipping into pH-swinging range.

I've been thinking of changing from reef crystals also. My alk in my 125 w/40 sump is at 10. I like big water changes. Also I think there are huge changes from batch to batch. I have a few tanks and I mix 30-50 gallons a week in a brute. I use a 1400gph cheap pump, a 750gph pump with hose for water changes and a jebao wp40 to mix salt. I see the residue. It gets so bad I use a filter sock inside to filter the flaky particles.

This is not the salt's problem or you'd see thousands of posts with people complaining about the same thing. Could be any of a few things causing this for you, but issues with storing and handling your salt would be my first guess. Sounds like moisture is getting into your salt before you mix it.

I'm not worried about the alkalinity of reef crystals since I only do a 10 percent water change. I'm more interested in knowing what is the brown residue ring left in my mixing bucket.

Supposed to be clay used in the mix. Tropic Marin mixes out with a black residue, fwiw. Since everyone gets it, it's clearly not an issue, either way. No worries! :)

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular instant ocean. I used to use tropic Marin but just couldn't keep paying that much without seeing drastically better results. Here are some pics of some of my fav corals. I also have ICP test results if you're interested but everything was spot on. My Alk stays at a steady 8.8

IMG_2073.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg
IMG_2077.jpg
IMG_2078.jpg
IMG_2074.jpg
IMG_2075.jpg
IMG_2076.jpg
IMG_2079.jpg

JAIME_MTY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular instant ocean. I used to use tropic Marin but just couldn't keep paying that much without seeing drastically better results. Here are some pics of some of my fav corals. I also have ICP test results if you're interested but everything was spot on. My Alk stays at a steady 8.8

IMG_2073.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg
IMG_2077.jpg
IMG_2078.jpg
IMG_2074.jpg
IMG_2075.jpg
IMG_2076.jpg
IMG_2079.jpg
Wow your corals look amazing, Do you adjust any of your parameter with dosing? Been thinking about switching to cheaper salt.

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your corals look amazing, Do you adjust any of your parameter with dosing? Been thinking about switching to cheaper salt.
Thank you. I do nothing other than mix my salt to 1.025 and dose reef pro 2 part

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just use instant ocean, it works for me. but i dont know much, i dont really care about my perams unless somethings off. its like counting calories. unless is was very fat, i wouldnt care abt calories.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no that lowers the PH. My alk stays around 8.8 sometimes 9 depends on the batch I get
Yes I am aware. I was going this route for a while to save a few bucks but have since gone back to Red Sea blue bucket since it has lower KH. I was adding acid to the bucket and waiting a few days for the PH to slowly come back. I guess if your KH is almost 9 its not a big swing during water changes.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just use instant ocean, it works for me. but i dont know much, i dont really care about my perams unless somethings off. its like counting calories. unless is was very fat, i wouldnt care abt calories.
Yeah thats a fine attitude for a lot of corals but stable KH is absolutely important for more delicate SPS.

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success with most every salt some more some less. ESV salt mixes clean and I've been using that for years although I think I could get better growth from Red Sea Coral Pro so I just switched and I'm liking the way it mixes up clean and very consistent every time. I make 200 gallon in one shot for a 20% water change every either 2 weeks or month depending what I'm seeing in my tank. Mixes 1.026 every time. My 200 gallon mixing drums are clean and no residue or gunk. Only thing is it goes in cloudy but dissappears overnight.

Back