Reef Crystals Question... Salinity??

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use reef crystals salt in my reef tank cuz ive heard they are one of the best cuz of the extra trace, calcium and other things that regular instant ocean salt doesnt have. How does Tropic Marin salt compare. Also my main question is that everytime i change the water in my 75 gallon i take out 20 gallons of water every two weeks. I then take one of those 15gal round containers with the ropes on the sides. I marked where the 10 gallon mark is by filling it up twice with 5 gal. buckets. When i mix in the reef crystals i use what the back says which is 1/2 cup per gallon of water so i just thrown in 5 cups of salt and fill the water to the 10 gallon line, mix, then pump back into the tank. Everytime i test my saltinity about a day after i do the water change its always at like 1.022. I want my salt to be at 1.024 to 1.025 cuz i have heard that is the ideal range for reef tanks. How much reef crytals do i use per gallon to get the salinity up to 1.025. I mean i know it would be more than 1/2 cup per gallon... Does anybody know?? Usually a 50 gallon bag of salt would last me about 2 water changes but if the level is never at 1.025 then how much do i need??

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why all the measuring? I just pre mix my water storage untill I hit .25, I always keep extra salt on hand

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never measure, just be sure to have plenty flow in your mixing container and let it mix overnight then check salinity. if i want a higher salinty i add more salt. be sure to let it mix real well. you using a refact meter too check your salinty with

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my salinity at 1.026 to 1.027. It takes about 3 cups/5 gal. Try 2 3/4 cups to get to 1.024-1.025. Instructions on the bag are basically a starting point. Also note that magnesium is low in Reef Crystals. I supplement a tablespoon or so for each 5 gal.

I have to admit that I long ago bagged the precise measurement routine. I fill 5-gal buckets to about the same level, within a quart or so and put about the same amount of salt in each bucket, and throw in about the same amount of salt in each bucket. When it all gets mixed together in the tank, salinity stays quite stable. The only thing I do without fail is mix and heat the saltwater for a minimum of 4 hr. before doing the water change. I like to mix at least 12 hr.
Gary

OP
OP
Xler8n

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have a big container and when i do the water change it onlymixes for about 10 min. When i get my RO/DI i will also get a 55 gal brute trash can and a dolly for it so i can mix it overnight.. Why do u heat the water?? How is this done like to what temp and how long do u let it cool off??

Wally1402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it says on the bag that the 1/2 cup per gallon mixes to 1.021. You have to add more salt to get the higher number.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix saltwater in 5-gal. buckets that once held salt. I use MaxiJet power heads and old heaters to mix the salt. I replace my tank heaters every year to prevent heater failure, so I have plenty of old ones for heating water change water.

Water goes in the bucket, then power head and heater. I get the water moving with the powerhead and then add the salt into the powerhead flow. This keeps the salt from piling up on the bottom of the bucket. You have to heat the water so it's at a temperature that's close to your tank. Otherwise, you'll shock your corals/fish when you add the new water.
Gary

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back