Reef energy, roids, or both?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started out I was feeding reef chilli/roids every other day. Things were going well until I had an algae bloom.

Of course, this is when I started overthinking everything, cut back on feeding, dosing nopox, etc. I also started feeding reef energy. Looking back at pictures, the corals all seemed healthier back then despite the algae.

So, does reef energy replace feedings? Is every other day too much? Reef chilli says 3 times a week. Should I use reef energy when feeding? Lastly, Red sea says energy doesn't add nutrients, is that true?

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started out I was feeding reef chilli/roids every other day. Things were going well until I had an algae bloom.

Of course, this is when I started overthinking everything, cut back on feeding, dosing nopox, etc. I also started feeding reef energy. Looking back at pictures, the corals all seemed healthier back then despite the algae.

So, does reef energy replace feedings? Is every other day too much? Reef chilli says 3 times a week. Should I use reef energy when feeding? Lastly, Red sea says energy doesn't add nutrients, is that true?
It varies by tank volume and many other factors. I have had the exact same issue. My Zoas love the dirtiness but then here comes the algae , GHA to be exact. I figure if I want to feed more I must up the amount of phosphates pull for the water. I feed my tank 3 times per week and I'm fighting GHA. Keep Reef energy as its a carbohydrate and really makes different in the coral health. I dose reef energy once daily regardless. I dose when feeding all the time.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Energy A/B are amino acids, vitamins, carbohydrates, etc. They may contribute to additional nitrates, but coupled with feedings what doesn't? Reef roids, Reef chili, and other dry foods contain mixtures of dehydrated food sources in varying sizes to direct feeding of the corals. Certainly over feeding either or both types together will increase nitrates and phosphates which can and does cause algae blooms.

Monitor levels of both N & P while feeding to keep them in check. It's all about balance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef energy every day to every other day (I miss a day here and there)

I only feed reef chili & reef roids a couple times a week

That combo seems to work good for me
Do you do both at the same time?

So do you feed chili and RE at the same time.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Energy A/B are amino acids, vitamins, carbohydrates, etc. They may contribute to additional nitrates, but coupled with feedings what doesn't? Reef roids, Reef chili, and other dry foods contain mixtures of dehydrated food sources in varying sizes to direct feeding of the corals. Certainly over feeding either or both types together will increase nitrates and phosphates which can and does cause algae blooms.

Monitor levels of both N & P while feeding to keep them in check. It's all about balance.
I have a 32 gallon so I only put in 2.5ml of each. I usually target feed 2 scoops of chili, a bit more of the roids.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef energy according to Red Sea is very low in nutrients and a similar question was raised on another thread and I came up with an idea I might try

I currently add Reef Energy every day/other day to my system.

So I currently use Reef Energy, I ive tried Reef Roids but it seems very expensive for the amount I need to use at around 1 teaspoon

So I thought how about when the reef energy bottle is half full. Why not mix some Reef Roids in RODI and then add it to both reef energy bottles, so effectively dosing Reef Roids at the same time as both are good ?

I think in answer to your question you can mix and match whatever you want as long as you feed the corals as needed.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon so I only put in 2.5ml of each. I usually target feed 2 scoops of chili, a bit more of the roids.

2.5ml every other day seems like a lot IMO for a 32g unless stocked to the brim. You could back off to 1ml and see how the response is. Particularly color and vibrance. The coral food dose seems extraordinarily high.

Remember what doesn't get used by the system is skimmed/filtered out, so don't waste it.

What are your nitrate & phosphate readings and how much algae do you have?

I really never use the recommended dose of these products right out of the gate. Rather I slowly add in small doses and monitor my systems response both visually & with test results.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.5ml every other day seems like a lot IMO for a 32g unless stocked to the brim. You could back off to 1ml and see how the response is. Particularly color and vibrance. The coral food dose seems extraordinarily high.

Remember what doesn't get used by the system is skimmed/filtered out, so don't waste it.

What are your nitrate & phosphate readings and how much algae do you have?

I really never use the recommended dose of these products right out of the gate. Rather I slowly add in small doses and monitor my systems response both visually & with test results.
I was dosing according to the bottle. It could be too much. My nutrients are creeping up there (.08-.1 phosphate, 20 nitrate) since I stopped NOPOX. That being said, I have some weird stringy stuff on the glass, but not much on the rocks. No GHA.

The corals look healthier since stopping NOPOX. If I see GHA I'll get a lawnmower blenny or something. From what I am beginning to learn, other than algae, nutrients aren't a problem. Lack of nutrients is worse.
20190118_114752.jpeg

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Describing algae problems and now something stringy on the glass (possibly cyano - need pix) if this were my tank I'd stop dosing Energy and stop feeding coral food. I'd lightly feed just enough to keep my fish fed, nothing more. Test kits can show inaccurate readings when algae is present due to the speed at which the algae is consuming the available nuisance nutrients. Also I'd be willing to bet that you haven't seen ludacris growth since you started either the Energy or coral food. You'd be surprised at how well coral thrive without any of the marketed "coral" specific foods.

NoPox is an organic carbon source used to feed the beneficial bacteria. As the bacteria population grows excess is removed through skimming, thus the nutrients they consumed are removed from the system. When you just cut that off, a rise in nitrate and phosphate could be expected.

Try removing as much of the GHA by hand as you can. As it dies off, it will just fuel the continued growth of algae.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Describing algae problems and now something stringy on the glass (possibly cyano - need pix) if this were my tank I'd stop dosing Energy and stop feeding coral food. I'd lightly feed just enough to keep my fish fed, nothing more. Test kits can show inaccurate readings when algae is present due to the speed at which the algae is consuming the available nuisance nutrients. Also I'd be willing to bet that you haven't seen ludacris growth since you started either the Energy or coral food. You'd be surprised at how well coral thrive without any of the marketed "coral" specific foods.

NoPox is an organic carbon source used to feed the beneficial bacteria. As the bacteria population grows excess is removed through skimming, thus the nutrients they consumed are removed from the system. When you just cut that off, a rise in nitrate and phosphate could be expected.

Try removing as much of the GHA by hand as you can. As it dies off, it will just fuel the continued growth of algae.
I stopped NOPOX because I wanted to stop adding everything to kind of reset.
20190114_184142.jpeg

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped NOPOX because I wanted to stop adding everything to kind of reset.
20190114_184142.jpeg

Resetting is good. Simplification in this hobby tends to work best IME.

Looks like cyano to me. It can be red, green, brown, etc. Most common I believe is red. Chemiclean can be used to remove it, or you can continue with your reset and get nutrients under control. Siphoning as much out as you can would be advisable as well.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do both at the same time?

So do you feed chili and RE at the same time.

I add both a&b reef energy at the same time. I turn my return off and leave the in tank pumps on

I mix reef chili and roids in the small application bottle that came with the reef chili (I don’t make a paste like some lps owners do for their coral I just mix it with tank water so I can squirt it into the tank). I then turn my return and internal pumps off and spot feed each of my colonies with the bottle. They fish go crazy as well eating the larger pieces of reef chili

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add both a&b reef energy at the same time. I turn my return off and leave the in tank pumps on

I mix reef chili and roids in the small application bottle that came with the reef chili (I don’t make a paste like some lps owners do for their coral I just mix it with tank water so I can squirt it into the tank). I then turn my return and internal pumps off and spot feed each of my colonies with the bottle. They fish go crazy as well eating the larger pieces of reef chili
When I say same time I meant do you feed reef energy on the same days as reef chili.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say same time I meant do you feed reef energy on the same days as reef chili.

My bad

I do reef energy every day unless I forget so yes on the days I do reef chili/roids I also do energy

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Indoncoral fenzy, another product and photo and zooplankton mix once a week. 120 gallon and spot feed with bulb feeding syringe. everyone seems pretty happy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back