Reef factory fleece roller: how to install in weird funky WB sump?

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
So I bought a reef factory M fleece roller. Yay! But, how the hell do I install it? WB has it in the sock section. However, there is a section before that where the main drain drains, for a bubble trap. If I plumb the drain into the fleece roller, it’s bypass that section where I have probes and heaters.

So what do I do? Just plumb the thing, then use the manifold with tubing to go into the first section so it has some flow for probe and heaters?

Or do I split the main drain into that compartment and other half into the reef factory?

The design of the sump is very weird, even though I have a skimmer going and 70% on the m2, I get a lot of detritus in the sump.

IMG_8673.png IMG_8674.png IMG_8675.jpeg

jakebarrierreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bypass that first existing section completely. With the roller plumbed, you won’t have water flow through that first section so it’s not a good place for probes or equipment. It’ll be mainly stagnant water.

Maybe if you have the emergency drain there with a decent percentage of flow, you could get away with it.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I would bypass that first existing section completely. With the roller plumbed, you won’t have water flow through that first section so it’s not a good place for probes or equipment. It’ll be mainly stagnant water.

Maybe if you have the emergency drain there with a decent percentage of flow, you could get away with it.
It has a manifold plumbed into the return and thought about just opening that up some to allow some flow so I can still use the compartment for my probes, ozone pump, and trident sampling. Put tubing on it and let it just flow into that spot and over into the fleece roller section. Be less Detritus build up since the flow would come from return post fleece rolled

Attachments

• IMG_8682.jpeg
    IMG_8682.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 22

jakebarrierreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds reasonable to me. Crank up your return pump to make up for the diverted flow and you should be alright.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back