Reef Factory Salinity Guardian Accuracy

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just need a quick feedback on this:

So i got this "expensive" Salinity Guardian thinking the least it can do is show me ball park number for a quick glance. I didnt expect it to be as accurate as the Refractometer.

However, I noticed that randomly during the night it will show me 35ppt, then drop it to a number as low as 10ppt
Why does it do this?

Even now at the time of writing this post, its doing numbers between 19ppt to 23ppt (Fluctuating every second).

Just to tell you little about my system:

Its a Red Sea 250 G2
The location of the Salinity probe is in the return pump chamber
The temp sensor is up inside the main display.

I am using Inkbird as my temp controller (whose sensors are also in the main display). The number on this device matches my Salinity guardian.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The location of the Salinity probe is in the return pump chamber
The temp sensor is up inside the main display.
The temp is going to be different in both locations .. throwing off the measurement. is the probe in the chamber with where the heater is kicking on and off would be my guess.

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where would you both?

Also salinity reading is consistently at 35ppt. It's just randomly it decides to make numbers fall from 35ppt to 10ppt every second for like 10min. Then later come back to 35ppt and stay there.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where would you both?

Also salinity reading is consistently at 35ppt. It's just randomly it decides to make numbers fall from 35ppt to 10ppt every second for like 10min. Then later come back to 35ppt and stay there.
It could be electrical interference from the probe wire running next to other wires. seems like the apex has some of the same issues...

I would put the temp probe in the same chamber with the salinity probe to see if that helps clear up the issue.

you can read thru this thread.. tho mostly related to apex issues.. some the issue you look to be having might apply as well.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this meter is measuring conductivity ensure the cables to the probe are not crossed with other cables. I think the magnetic fields generated around cables can screw up the readings, or at least that’s how it appears to me.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where would you both?

is the probe near where the ATO adds freshwater? That would explain why the salinity dropped randomly for a few minutes,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back