Reef Getting Cloudy, Seems to be getting worst.

BRS

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What seemed to have happened overnight Is my reef getting really cloudy. It’ll be a year old in less than a month, it’s gotten worst everyday but specifically today it looks like it’s gotten more cloudy within a few hours. I’m not sure if anything is spawning in the tank but this has been an issue for a few weeks now, any ideas? Thanks a lot.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What seemed to have happened overnight Is my reef getting really cloudy. It’ll be a year old in less than a month, it’s gotten worst everyday but specifically today it looks like it’s gotten more cloudy within a few hours. I’m not sure if anything is spawning in the tank but this has been an issue for a few weeks now, any ideas? Thanks a lot.
It depends on what is in the tank? do you have coral? Fish? etc etc
The most common would be a bacterial bloom because something has died? How big is the tank?
Are you perhaps overfeeding?
Another possibility would be calcium/Carbonate precipitation - if you're dosing - so more information might be helpful

BRS
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
It depends on what is in the tank? do you have coral? Fish? etc etc
The most common would be a bacterial bloom because something has died? How big is the tank?
Are you perhaps overfeeding?
Another possibility would be calcium/Carbonate precipitation - if you're dosing - so more information might be helpful
Yes, it’s a 90 gallon. I have 7 fish in the system, all softies so far, leathers zoas and gorgonians. I feed once a day with a quarter sheet of sea weed for the tangs about it.

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Leathers are known for releasing tannin that will yellow the water.
Really the only thing I can say is one of my devils hand is starting to split from what it seems. It’s grown a really good amount since I got it, polyps are always out, it just seems like it’s multiplying into a second colony.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
It might be good to measure your parameters. With leather corals - carbon is always a good idea IMHO. do more water changes - 10% x 3 is minimal. I would also measure your nutrients (NO3/PO4) - I might stop the reef roads

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, it’s a 90 gallon. I have 7 fish in the system, all softies so far, leathers zoas and gorgonians. I feed once a day with a quarter sheet of sea weed for the tangs about it.
So - you are saying you have 7 tangs in a 90 gallon? Thats not causing the cloudy water - but it seems like a lot of fish. It also depends on how big the sheet is

OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
So - you are saying you have 7 tangs in a 90 gallon? Thats not causing the cloudy water - but it seems like a lot of fish. It also depends on how big the sheet is
No no I have 7 fish total, 2 tangs, my apologies should’ve clarified. I stopped the roids quite awhile ago, because I didn’t see much benefit from it. Besides increasing nutrients. I tested yesterday and NO3 was about 15 & PO4 0.25

OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
It might be good to measure your parameters. With leather corals - carbon is always a good idea IMHO. do more water changes - 10% x 3 is minimal. I would also measure your nutrients (NO3/PO4) - I might stop the reef roads
Do you think possibly the increased nutrients from the roids caused it? The cloudiness just seemed to come on later than I would expect. But what do I know lol.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Do you think possibly the increased nutrients from the roids caused it? The cloudiness just seemed to come on later than I would expect. But what do I know lol.
Dont know if it is or not. Its usually higher nutrients than necessary

AS
https://www.triton.de/en/