Reef Hobby needs YOU: call for comments regarding ESA coral listing (via Reef Builders)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
endangered-coral-species-620x316_zps56226b2d.jpg

image via Reef Builders

On December 7, 2012, NOAA published a proposed rule in the Federal Register (77 FR 73219) in response to a petition submitted by the Center for Biological Diversity to list 83 reef-building coral species as threatened or endangered under the ESA. NOAA concluded that 12 of the petitioned coral species warrant listing as endangered (5 Caribbean and 7 Indo-Pacific), 54 coral species warrant listing as threatened (2 Caribbean and 52 Indo-Pacific), and 16 coral species (all Indo-Pacific) do not warrant listing as threatened or endangered under the ESA. NOAA also determined that two Caribbean coral species currently listed warrant reclassification from threatened to endangered.

To speak in opposition of this petition go here: Speak Against

Read more: Reef Hobby needs YOU: call for comments regarding ESA coral listing

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a nightmare! While the trade might've at one point been responsible now it's the savior! A black market trade for coral would be a disaster!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolfish5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done, I think a provion to allow aquacutured and trade of existing corals would be helpful in reducing opposition. Protecting the natural reef is a good goal but it is unnecessary to ban the aquacultre of those corals.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS IS IMPORTANT. WE ALL NEED TO COMMENT ON THIS RIGHT NOW!!!

MASNA Blog - MASNA Response to ESA Listing for 82 Coral Species coming today

MASNA Blog - MASNA submits its response to the proposed ESA listings of multiple corals

http://www.masna.org/Portals/0/Blog/Files/7/75/response letter ESA listing v3.pdf

This bill/legislation or whatever it is basically would outlaw the keeping, selling, or trading of any stony coral.

You need to submit your comment on this form, ASAP - April 5th is the deadline

Regulations.gov

This thing would classify most stony corals (pretty much all, because what DNR guy is going to know what acropora is what, really?) as endangered species. This is all based on very poor studies, specifically chosen because they are poor so that their conclusions can be drawn.

POST COMMENTS IMMEDIATELY. THIS EFFORT IS NOT BASED ON SUFFICIENT DATA. THIS COULD POTENTIALLY DECIMATE THIS HOBBY. WE COULD PRETTY MUCH ALL BE DEEMED CRIMINALS FOR OWNING SPS CORALS

I submitted this:

This proposed action is not based on sufficient data. There is no real effective way for someone without a degree in marine biology and decades of experience to tell one coral species from another. this action could potentially shut down an entire industry, full of hobbyists with love for the ocean and reefs. This action could potentially criminalize hundreds of thousands of hobbyists.

I am a member of a statewide reef keeping hobbyist club. We all endeavor to propagate and maintain as many coral species as possible. It is entirely possible that, if some species becomes extinct in the wild due to climate change factors or for any other reason, the only surviving species would be captive held and propagated coral colonies. It is entirely possible that this action could prevent the preservation of literally thousands of coral species. Most dedicated reef hobbyists pride themselves on maintaining pristine water conditions to maximize coral growth, then when their tanks get overgrown, they share these with others. Why on earth would one want to decimate the very industry that may very well someday be the last bastion of safety for the living reefs of the world?

This proposed action is full of disregard for the facts, and should not even be considered.

I fully support the view of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA) with respect to their letter dated April 4, 2013 with regard to this matter.

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth......

Information given to me (dsdaley77) verbally by a representative of NOAA (with direct knowledge of the current topic) earlier this evening,

You can own any specimen on the list, aside from the specimens designated specifically as "endangered."

You can continue to own them, even after the classification.

You can transport them across state lines but not for commercial purposes, and never internationally.

You CAN give or receive any specimens on the list for free to another individual (IE frag swaps and giving frags to friends) but no money or services/goods can be exchanged (commercial transaction).

Most on the list are being classified as "threatened" not "endangered" which means there will be even more "exclusions and circumstances" that ALLOW for ownership and the likes, INCLUDING CAPTIVE RAISED SPECIMENS, special permits to raise specimens in captivity, etc.

Other rights and privledges are available if you own the specimen prior to the new classifications.

Hope this helps and I'm only trying to pass on information I personally received regarding this important matter.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
So You Can
KEEP CALM AND REEF ON!!

ntime60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done.

One of the reasons I came back to reef keeping was to possibly provide safe haven to reef life (corals in particular). With global warming altering water chemistry and all the bleaching that is currently happening around the world, it really concerns me that we could lose the majority of our wild reefs in the next 30-75 years.

There is a need to have caretakers of the corals who can protect the various species from what big business has done to this planet.

I've dove for years off Florida and the Keys for years. To see the decline in the reefs over the last 30 years, simply breaks my heart. The images from the south pacific and Mediterranean are not any better either.

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Commented on site.

Strange as it is... Wonder why the crying for those reef habits is heard but when it comes to non operational oil/gas rigs that are, in reality an artificial reef home to 100's of species of fish, coral, and sponges, they want them dismantled, sunk, or destroyed.

Being from coastal La (not NOLA) I can't comprehend this measure. These rigs are a sustainable reef habitat that the government wants destroyed but protect other places. These rigs are all over the gulf.

More info: http://www.save-the-blue.org
You can watch live video feeds of these reefs and see the life. This rig is just one of many that the government want to destroy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted on another thread:

Endangered Species Program | Permits | Frequently Asked Questions

For endangered species, permits may be issued for scientific research, enhancement of propagation or survival, and taking that is incidental to an otherwise lawful activity.

For threatened species, permits also may be issued for zoological, horticultural, or botanical exhibition; educational use; and special purposes consistent with the ESA.

A person registered with the FWS may obtain a captive-bred wildlife permit to buy and sell within the United States live, non-native endangered or threatened animals that were captive born in the United States for enhancement of species propagation, provided the other person in the transaction is registered for the same species. A separate permit is needed to import or export such species. Captive-bred wildlife permits are not issued to keep or breed endangered or threatened animals as pets. Using protected species as pets is not consistent with the purposes of the ESA, which is aimed at conservation of the species and recovery of wild populations.

I'm just some hick from the sticks in Texas but it doesn't sound very promising to me and I definitely don't trust your source at NOAA (is this person the final decision maker on rules & regs?)....Lets face it - its a hobby they are pets.. yes there are a lot of us trying to captively propagate them to reduce the pressures on wild specimens, maybe trying to make a buck or two or at least cover costs... But they are pets. Nothing in the above FAQ will allow for permitting to the hobby IMO.

Nailed it.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you understand though that it does not really matter? Unless someone knew precisely what applied and what did not, and happened to have a lawyer on call to prevent confiscation, the FWS can pretty much do whatever they want, and they you're screwed. Don't believe it will happen? Don't believe it has already happened? Wake up.

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you understand though that it does not really matter? Unless someone knew precisely what applied and what did not, and happened to have a lawyer on call to prevent confiscation, the FWS can pretty much do whatever they want, and they you're screwed. Don't believe it will happen? Don't believe it has already happened? Wake up.

Not a FWS, just a local city.

Even with lawyer at hand if a seizure/search warrant is obtain, your livestock will be taken. One can object to the warrant but once a judge signs it.... Too late. Items can be searched/seized. Which all depends on what is asked on the warrant.

Ex. If I had probable cause and get a warrant for the search of your residence b/c you have said prohibited coral. Not only can I take said coral but can also request all equipment be seized to. Which means I would seize lights, tank, rock, etc. . .

Don't think it can't happen, I've seen many of pot grows raided in my 10yrs. Plants, pots, lights, irrigation, etc.. seized. E

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of a leg to stand on for the drug growers, but it is a good parallel example. such warrants would most likely be extensive to the like - all things associated with the keeping and/or propagation of said protected species. Quite a weapon for someone with a beef against another business. Write an anonymous letter and eliminate your competition. Again - don't think it will happen?

We had a frag fest set up at a local school for this weekend. This school happens to have a Marine Biology department with over 10,000 gallons of marine aquariums, and there is someone in our city who has several issues with that instituion and our club, mainly because we educate people instead of ripping them off constantly. Someone penned an anonymous letter to the school (I know who it is, but I won't say publicly until it can be proven) which resulted in the school cancelling their involvement in our event - 5 days before it was going to happen. All someone has to do is cry wolf and the excrement hits the fan.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back