REEF ICP TEST TOTAL - Dying clams - Advise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hansss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fauna Marin,

I've just tested your REEF ICP TEST TOTAL and was very impressed the speed and completness of the test. So much information and advice!

But there's some things I'd like to ask your advice about anyway.

The tank is recovering from an almost crash this summer, when some water parameters got way off (Ca 230.. and more). I've corrected and stabilized the the basic values. Battled some cyano and taken down the nutrion levels to an almost ULNS level. Most SPS are growing just fine and getting nice bright colors. So most things seems to be going in the right direction.

But a Squamosa clam I've had for more than a year and had survived all of the previous problems were suddenly closing up more and more. I suspected a Navarchus, so I sold that fish but the clam already looked quite bad then and died shortly after. About two weeks later, when everything else still looked fine I bought 2 large Maxima clams. Both of these never really like it here. The were not opening up fully, eventhough I couldn't see anything bothering them. I checked both for things from above (fishes, snails and similar) and from below with snails, worms and others but found nothing. Both clams died in about 2 weeks.

My ICP test were taken somewhere in between these 2 incidents.

Although far from everything is perfect in this test I can't really see anything that would kill a large clam in a quite short time. The basics are quite OK as I see it.

Iodine I always get low results, but this was not an extremly bad value as I see it.
Flouride I haven't checked before, but can this value be that bad?

Aluminium and Barium are both high, but have been even higher before? Could these be "killers"?

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• 14173.pdf
    169.2 KB · Views: 117

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to know why clams die!

Can't help on the Al.. look for magnets or other potential metal sources. No clue if it would cause clams to die. I suspect not.

Your alk seems low (6.7dkh) and salinity a little high (36.3ppt). Maybe was an acclimation thing? I hear they are sensitive to acclimating.

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fauna Marin,

I've just tested your REEF ICP TEST TOTAL and was very impressed the speed and completness of the test. So much information and advice!

But there's some things I'd like to ask your advice about anyway.

The tank is recovering from an almost crash this summer, when some water parameters got way off (Ca 230.. and more). I've corrected and stabilized the the basic values. Battled some cyano and taken down the nutrion levels to an almost ULNS level. Most SPS are growing just fine and getting nice bright colors. So most things seems to be going in the right direction.

But a Squamosa clam I've had for more than a year and had survived all of the previous problems were suddenly closing up more and more. I suspected a Navarchus, so I sold that fish but the clam already looked quite bad then and died shortly after. About two weeks later, when everything else still looked fine I bought 2 large Maxima clams. Both of these never really like it here. The were not opening up fully, eventhough I couldn't see anything bothering them. I checked both for things from above (fishes, snails and similar) and from below with snails, worms and others but found nothing. Both clams died in about 2 weeks.

My ICP test were taken somewhere in between these 2 incidents.

Although far from everything is perfect in this test I can't really see anything that would kill a large clam in a quite short time. The basics are quite OK as I see it.

Iodine I always get low results, but this was not an extremly bad value as I see it.
Flouride I haven't checked before, but can this value be that bad?

Aluminium and Barium are both high, but have been even higher before? Could these be "killers"?

Any other ideas?
HI. Iodine is massive to low and must be dosed to the reference, please check to this also the Nitrogen level then the clams will be save

OP
OP
H

Hansss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI. Iodine is massive to low and must be dosed to the reference, please check to this also the Nitrogen level then the clams will be save
Hi Fauna Marin,
thanks for you reply!

Regarding the nitrogen I was a bit surprised with this result. I tested steady nitrate values around 1 for a while. I even added a low dose nitrate daily to be on the safe side. I used the new Hanna High Range Nitrate checker.
Nitrate isn't tested by ICP right? And the test was a few days older since christmas/new years vaccation. So I'm not sure what to trust there.

Regarding Iodine, I always test low there. Any advice on what to dose and how to find the correct daily dose? To dose Elements Trace I twice would solve it for now, but then I would be right back to same low value in a week or two again.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Hans

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Hans, We detect No3 with a HSA Lab System, which allows us to detect the No3 level exactly in seawater, without the issues with diluting when use IC for testing. So usually is a very accurate Test. Long transport will reduce a little bit the ammount.
Iodine depends on the system you have. Balling Licht works with. Trace 3 , or you dose the single element by Elementals I

OP
OP
H

Hansss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine depends on the system you have. Balling Light works with. Trace 3 , or you dose the single element by Elementals I

Hi Fauna Marin, I've trippled the dose of Trace 3 and still got too low Iodine when doing ICP tests...

Elementals dosing feels more to correct a bad value... not something that would keep the values at the right level.
I suspect that Iodine is something that is consumed quite quickly if at the right levels, and then consumption drops when not so much iodine is available... is that correct?

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Iodine is quite stabile in reef keeping systems. So usually is no need for to often doses with separate elements. We recommend in the Balling Light system to adjust the right Iodine level over the Trace 3

Back