OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another thought. If reef tanks are a hobby because we are maintaining a system and collecting living things, when then does it stop being a hobby and becomes just pet keeping? What about paludariums housing amphibians and a small ecosystem to support them? What about reptile enclosures with living vegetation? What about hamsters in a cage?

I think this line of thought illustrates quite well the problem with labeling any kind of animal keeping as "a hobby".
I think it depends on how the reef inhabitants are viewed by the Reefer. For instance, there are Reefers who are not interested in the ocean. They simply collect coral because they are colorful, challenging, and expensive. That is their hobby. Though some may not like that, it shows one of the many varying degrees that is reefing.

Last edited:

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on how the reef inhabitants are viewed to the Reefer. For instance, there are Reefers who are not interested in the ocean. They simply collect coral because they are colorful, challenging, and expensive. That is their hobby. Though some may not like that, it shows one of the many varying degrees that is reefing.
Interesting new way to look at it. I know there’s people that pay someone else to deal with every aspect of their reef tank. I wouldn’t think they are hobbyists at all.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting new way to look at it. I know there’s people that pay someone else to deal with every aspect of their reef tank. I wouldn’t think they are hobbyists at all.
Right. I give some mental leeway though, as some people may be elderly or disabled. But yeah, some people just want pretty decorations in their homes too.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Well, what kind of pin? A bowling pin? A bobby pin? :grinning-squinting-face:
I do understand the reference, and agree in the long run it doesn't matter what we call reefing. I was highlighting the fact that it is much more diverse than we think, and it means something different to us all. No wrong answers, and it is good to see them.

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider it not a hobby. But reading and thinking about it, I think it can be both or either. These are living things that deserve care and love, in some form at lease. I understand that most people including myself have stronger bonds with furry type pets but the tank occupants are pets too. The equipment that goes along with keeping these pets happy and healthy very easily fall into the hobby category though to me. Some people collect corals and that to me can be argued as a hobby attribute. For me I like to make as close to a small peek into the reef in my home to study, learn about, and care fore these creatures and not a collection. Both are ok. I think that just adds to the differences of opinion on how to classify what we do.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a "Pobby" (Pet Hobby) -- can I term that? lol

For me, it resonated as both. We have a "designer poodle" and her name is called "Dory". She's definitely a pet and a family member. I take Dory to the vet, give her a bath, feed her, walk her, buy her all kinds of toy to play & hide, etc. Well, Dory inside my tank deserves pretty much the same; except people might look at me funny trying to "walk her". Besides -- it's not healthy (downright dangerous) to walk Dory, the Blue Hippo Tang!

In the end, reefing can be anything to everyone. I think that something in common is that we share the experience together as reefers.

Happy Pobby!

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a hobby to me.

It's an interest, an activity that I do for enjoyment. Sure, sometimes I don't wanna do the water change and it feels like a chore, but that doesn't make it not a hobby. I think about the tank a lot, I read about different coral and fish, and enjoy watching what other people do with their tanks. There are trends. Is it chalices now? Gonis are in vogue. Ebbs and flows.

I'm sure plenty of people don't feel like weeding their vegetable garden sometimes. I essentially have to wear clothing every day, but that doesn't mean that fashion isn't a hobby.

Corals are animals technically, but there are people who toss buckets of xenia in the trash (not me for the record), and people who cry when they cut down a tree. I'm honestly not sure the distinction of animal or plant for coral is very important.

Some people probably read about the buckets of xenia in the trash and were outraged, "It's an animal, how dare you!", then turned around and smashed a spider on the wall.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back