Reef Lighting Help

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all. I have a Waterbox 60.2 and am currently using a Gen 6 Radion Xr15 and Coral Life 24" Coral Cover Hybrid LED Light Fixture. I do not have access to rent a PAR meter and do not have the funds to purchase one. I am looking for advise as to what to set the intensity at for the fixtures. Currently I am running the Radion at 75% and the Hybrid at 50%, is this to much light? My tank consists of mostly sps, but I do have a few zoas and lps. I currently have the fixture 7" off the water and the sps corals are all towards the top of the rock, with the closest being about 10" from the water surface.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply rents out PAR meters at very reasonable rates :)

Money well spend if you want to know if your lights are set up correctly. Based on the information you have provided, it is extremely difficult to determine whether it is 'correct'..

OP
OP
J

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply rents out PAR meters at very reasonable rates :)

Money well spend if you want to know if your lights are set up correctly. Based on the information you have provided, it is extremely difficult to determine whether it is 'correct'..
I did see there is a PAR meter app avaliable for my iPhone called Photone, do you know if this is any good?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see there is a PAR meter app avaliable for my iPhone called Photone, do you know if this is any good?
You can try it out I suppose , but remember to cover the camera lens up with a piece of white paper or something! Follow the instructions to the letter! :) Also, some sort of waterproof casing would be required. From paying for the app and the case, renting the PAR meter would be cheaper i reckon!

... and it would work! ;)

OP
OP
J

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can try it out I suppose , but remember to cover the camera lens up with a piece of white paper or something! Follow the instructions to the letter! :) Also, some sort of waterproof casing would be required. From paying for the app and the case, renting the PAR meter would be cheaper i reckon!

... and it would work! ;)
Just checked with BRS and they no longer rent the meters. You have to buy the meter and want and then return it for $100 restocking fee for the meter and 10% restock for the wand. That seems pretty expensive for a rental

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked with BRS and they no longer rent the meters. You have to buy the meter and want and then return it for $100 restocking fee for the meter and 10% restock for the wand. That seems pretty expensive for a rental
Aw man that's a bummer! Used to be $50 for 14 days..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back