Reef Lighting

mattb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep reefs a while ago and it was always a case of you get what you pay for and the cheap light units didn't work too well for coral growth and colour
I'm coming back to the Gabby and have a 125ltr tank with all the equipment but the light unit has died so need a unit for a 3ft 125ltr tank
I've seen the dsuny units, philzon 165w units and the nicrew 150w units all of which claim they are full spectrum for reef tanks and all are a very reasonable price so wanted to see if anyone had used any of them and if they were any good

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the nicrew. It works. I think if I were to get a budget light again I would look at the smatfarm led. However, I tend to prefer led bars like lumilites or quantas for the simplicity and price. Full spectrum doesn't really matter as long as the light has a solid 420-460nm output.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
While ideal would be 2-3 orphek OR3 strips or a pair of Ai Hydra 26/32, you did not mention budget.
LED Vivarspectra has earned a long time respect and economically priced. Ive heard of the nicrew but not much in person familiararity with them but other would be the @noopsyche V7 pro 2 or 3 series

OP
OP
M

mattb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking in the region of £100-£200 don't really want to go above that the Mrs would start nagging she already thinks I spend to much on the planted tanks

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use Nicrew and they have been reliable while corals are responding very well. I have no experience with the higher end lights but I am very happy with my cheaper Nicrews.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back