"reef lobster"

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would this guy do with snails, shrimp, stars and corals? my guess it will likley eat anything it can get
IMG_20190717_131106571.jpeg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are reef safe, I debated getting one for awhile, but they get like normal lobster size, which can be a deterrent. They will collapse rock structures and rescape your tank I was told, so I didn’t end up getting it. They are pretty though!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're reef safe as far as corals, but will definitely attack and eat other inverts and small fish, especially at night.
Also they are ridiculously hard to remove once you add one to your tank. They hide a lot and are extremely wary.
Decades ago, before good info was readily available, I added one to my reef because it was so attractive.
Thereafter my shrimps, firefish and gobies all gradually disappeared.
Tried to catch it, even at night, no way.
Managed to knock one of its claws off with a homemade spear; it was back after the next molt.
When I broke down that tank, I sold all the livestock, rocks and water to a local fish store.
The lobster was the last critter to leave; it was hiding behind the very last rock.

OP
OP
Stanzo13

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know i have a lot more to do with coral placement, was going to put a small frag of zoas on top... theirs a wild crab that lives in it that i havent bern able to get... and he LOVES to push corals out of his way. i filmed it once

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back