Reef log

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of what's helped me learn and track the progress (or decline) of my reef has been keeping an Excel daily log of test levels, additives, feedings, water changes, bulb changes, additions, deaths, etc. If you'd like, I can email you a clean version of the Excel file. Just PM me with your email and I'll be happy to send it your way...I HIGHLY recommend this for new and old reefers alike, but especially the new guys. You can customize it any way you want by adding or deleting columns.

Mine has the following:

Date
Time of Day
Salinity/SG
Temp
Ph
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Nitrates
Nitrites
Ammonia
Phosphates
Strontium
ORP
Iodide/Iodate
Carbon Changes
GFO Changes
Water Changes
Additives
Notes Section

OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks RG, just for clarification, I don't test all of those things everyday...I'm not THAT anal. :nerd:

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also keep an excel spreadsheet with info on water changes, livestock and equipment changes, additives, etc. My schedule now has five years! I also take a lot of photos of my tank which helps in comparing the changes in coral colors and growth with the changes in my log. Its amazing how you can see the changes in your tank and how they relate to changes in the log.

Steve W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm a newby, only had a tank set up for about 5 months, and it is a Nano. I keep a written journal in which I record most of the information listed above (that I am able to test for) plus observations about each corals growth, their response to any changes made and anything out of the ordinary. I am planning to set up a 72 gallon in the spring and I hope that this information will help me avoid the anxiety and mistakes I made with this one.

I tried to do this on a computer spreadsheet but found that I was missing some of the important information on the responses of things in the tank. I also find updating my journal very soothing at the end of a long day.

Steve W

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do this when I started and it's a great way to see trends in your parameters and prevent (or fix) certain issues.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back