Reef Mat - Flow too high? Or normal?

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just setup a reef mat 500 on my Red Sea 425 G2 (90 display) and I love it so far. It's still pulling out all the nasty as it's only been live for 4 days or so. But - is this normal looking for the used fleece? Seems it's pulling QUITE a bit per day. For instance, I'm probably averaging 15-20 feet per day.... I would expect this to be somewhat dirtier, but it seems the water height gets too high too quick which is leading me to think I'm running to high of return GPH.... I'm using a Apex Cor 15 return, at about 75-85% max speed. So, 1125GPH on a good day I guess? Probably a bit too hot but I'm brain farting thinking if I lower flow rate, will that actually help or will it still raise the water at the same rate of dirtiness and flow is irrelevant?

Cheers

1697320366702.png
1697320371241.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're running the media tray with anything in it, remove that. You'll find your fleece probably drops significantly. For comparison, I use <50" daily (4') on my ReefMat 1200 with a very heavy bio load.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like yours is a bit lighter than my used roll. However it could be lighting. Im also running considerably less flow through mine as my total system volume is like 60gals. Maybe a 50gal display.

You can play with the settings too I believe to dictate how much advance you want.

IMG_8147.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 79.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back