Reef Mud

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 20-15 yrs ago I purchased reef mud from a small company called Diver's Den. The company's storefront I browse today bares little resemblance. Anyhoot, 20-15 yrs ago I purchased a few pounds of mud and within weeks lots of biodiversity: small critters, sponges of various colors, copepods, fauna, and macro algae appeared. The mud quickly brought dead rock to life. I haven't found any equivalent from internet searches except Florida's Pet Live mud but the marketing/description (perhaps accurate) lacks the macro diversity contained from the once described and observably verified Diver's Den reef mud. The mud seemingly was a viable alternative rather than purchasing live sand and/or rock plus shipping (if correct Diver's Den provided mud from reef/tank refugiums).
Suggestions or alternative sources?

Thanks,
W.T.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you can't find the original "mud" but this one, Fiji Mud, is close. It's a "Walt Smith" product ;):

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my tank from a decade ago began by GARF mud.
Disappointed to hear GARF no longer exists.
Yeah, Leroy passed away a while back and Sally Jo has had some health problems so the site is now archived but not active. I think SJ wrote a book last year though...

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo Pacific has wonder mud. I have thought about trying it. The Fiji mud I wonder how long it sits on a shelf in the warehouse.

OP
OP
W

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo Pacific has wonder mud. I have thought about trying it. The Fiji mud I wonder how long it sits on a shelf in the warehouse.

Thanks, the Mud I was referring was bagged wet and full of critters. A few pounds and my then tank had diverse copepods as well macro plants, fauna, sponges etc after a few weeks. The Mud I see listed by various companies today appears to contain mineral/elements a 5 gallon vitamin (no disrespect) but no macro life.

Back