Reef Nutrition products, any experience?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LFS is starting to get these in, and people are going nuts over them.

who here has experience with their products?

i think i will definitely try to get some of those artic pods, a guy in the store said he got some and put a teaspoon of it into his tank, and all he saw the next 5 min was fish and sand. lol (they are also advertised as having a 80% success rate with mandarins)

what about the tigger pods? if you put them in your fuge will they grow/reproduce? are they meant just as a live fish treat? or meant to colonize the rock in your tank to eventually reproduce? considering how expensive they are, and there aren't *that* many in a bottle...thats a ridiculously expensive live treat.

our LFS guy said they also sell live mysis shrimp, but they are expensive (about $1 a shrimp). anyone every try to get live mysis to put in their fuge and get them to reproduce?

Last edited:

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the live mysis idea sounds pretty cool. i would try that if i had a fuge. what are you trying to feed w/ those pods? often times when i looked in the bottles, most were dead loll... i used to work at a lfs and nobody every bought their products.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the arctic pods and roti-feast to feed my corals. My mandarin doesn't eat the arctic pods. I did buy the tiger pods about a year ago to seed my tank before I got my mandarin. I think it worked pretty well. I have a ton of pods.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Arctic Pods and the Roti-Feast. The Arctic pods are nice because they are larger than cyclops so larger fish have no problems getting filled up on it. I never noticed my mandarin eating it either. But my True Percs colors glow with the Arctic Pods. And it is pretty easy to feed just squeeze the bottle and no fishy smell on your hands. The Roti-Feast I use to feed my SPS at night.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the arctic pods and roti-feast to feed my corals. My mandarin doesn't eat the arctic pods. I did buy the tiger pods about a year ago to seed my tank before I got my mandarin. I think it worked pretty well. I have a ton of pods.

the tigger pods are different than regular pods, pretty easy to tell since they are orange.

so do you think your tigger pods are reproducing?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the live mysis idea sounds pretty cool. i would try that if i had a fuge. what are you trying to feed w/ those pods? often times when i looked in the bottles, most were dead loll... i used to work at a lfs and nobody every bought their products.

i'm not sure how you would feed them, i imagine they would just consume surface algae on rocks in the tank. i know of several people who had them breeding in their tanks.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tigger pods are different than regular pods, pretty easy to tell since they are orange.

so do you think your tigger pods are reproducing?
Yes I think they're reproducing. I put 2 bottles in my sump and 2 bottles in my tank.

Marine Flora

marine planted tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've tried their tigger pods and they are awesome. you'll definitely need to place them in the fuge though. they actively swim around alot and will be eaten by coral.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never bought tigger pods, But i have live mysis living in my fuge. Must have straggled over from the chaeto i got in from waynesreef.
I have tons of pods as well.
I feed artic pods, But it stops my skimmer for hrs at a time because of the fats/oils used to preserve them. (What i think anyways) My anthia's love's them. It got my new tangs eating, But i would hate to feed all the time because it just shuts down my skimmer for soo long. I would never feed it daily.
The tigger pods look cool, I was thinking on a bottle to throw in the fuge.
If you look in the bottle theres macro algea in there which they feed off while in transit.
Thats what i was told at a lfs anyways. ;)

Biertrinker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those who had tigger pods or tried them in the previous posts- are they still alive and kicking? I am choosing a few live foods to culture and may go with tigger pods.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the arctic pods and love them - my fish and corals go nuts for them. Also his phyto-feast is awesome as well. it takes much less than the DT's. I have used the tiger pods and like them as well. I do believe they reproduce - to keep them alive in the bottle you have to take the lid off I think daily and add a drop of phyto-feast or dt's every few days to keep them alive - I think most lfs don't go to the trouble, or fail to read the instruction on the bottle.

I got to meet Randy Reed at our clubs frag swap last year. He is a SUPER nice guy. He really knows his stuff! especially about the phyto-feast and rotifers. The products he sells for the marine hobby are less them 10% of his business. They sell LARGE quantities of concentrated phytoplankton over seas and in the US for fish hatcheries. Like tanker ships full of the stuff. I think his products are top notch.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put the tigger pods in your fuge, remember to feed GP or powdered cyclopeeze through your fuge so the pods have food to eat, they are cannabilistic. Not that they wont survive if you dont but youll have a ton more if you do. Ihave so many pods in my fuges some times i scoop them out and toss them in the tank, my wrasse go ape s for them.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al, I've tried both the Tigger Pods and the Arcti Pods. I bought both of them after my first mandarin (and no, he couldn't have cared less about them, he ended up starving). The fish do enjoy the Arcti pods and gobble them up like crazy, but $20 for a bottle with an expiration date didn't fit into my tank budget.

IMO, they're not worth the money. If you want some pods, borrow a piece of rock from my QT tank and place it in your sump for a few days. My QT (and main tank) is crawling with mysis shrimp and all sorts of other crawling things.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you all getting the bottles of pods from. I'm not sure that the LFS has them. Is there a place that you can order these from??

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back