reef octo 110sss micro bubble factory

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial:

Skimmer has been running for 8 months, it's broken in.
Water Level is 7 3/4 inches from the bottom of the sump RS-170 sump

Problem:
Tons of microbubbles from the output.
I do dose Vinegar(carbon)
When I break down the skimmer, and clean it thoroughly, removing pump etc, it minimizes the bubbles, but after a few weeks the micro bubbles return en mass and flood the display.

Are there any other adjustments to make? The skimmer is functional and works well otherwise.

Thanks!

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had this yes you I had to put a 90 on the output and drill some holes in the elbow of the 90 in this alleviated all my issues. I can get a picture later on tonight if I'm not drawing a good picture with my words.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had this yes you I had to put a 90 on the output and drill some holes in the elbow of the 90 in this alleviated all my issues. I can get a picture later on tonight if I'm not drawing a good picture with my words.

Hi Pife,

Yeah, a picture would be nice ;-). did you have to just have to buy some 3/4 pvc and a 3/4 elbow?

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm sorry. I thought that I had the sss but I don't. I have the normal 110. Sorry again.

Does it skim good?

I suppose, seems I have to break it down every two weeks to get it to stop making noises after a while. Right after feeding is when it produces copious bubbles. The Build quality is good, I want to keep it to make it work correctly. I have a filter sock in front of it, so it doesn't catch an inordinate amount of debris. I'm just wondering if it's pulling enough out. RS 170 roughly about 38-39 Gallons of water minus the rock. I'd say it's pulling a good 100ML of gunk out daily (which includes dosing).

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is try raising the skimmer an inch or 2 to see if that would help.

I just cleaned it again, completely broke it down. I may have been adjusting it incorrectly, pinching the airline where I should have been adjusting the v-opening at the bottom of the pvc air intake/water output tube. It may have been causing excess air bleeding below the diffuser plate. I'll know tomorrow if it takes.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup that fixed it. I had it configured incorrectly

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back