Reef Octopus 110 EXT loud

  • Thread starter Thread starter Newtybar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Newtybar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
66
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, the pump is loud - is this normal? I know I didn't buy the high end model and all, but I figure for 250 it would at least have a quiet pump.

Second, it is recirculating so it has a pipe where the water exits...there's probably a good 3" gap from the opening of the pipe to the water level so it sounds like a waterfall. What do you guys do to reduce this?
 
Is this the newer version with the aquatrance pump or the older with the OTP pump? I have the older with the OTP pump and it's pretty quiet. Planning on changing it to the aquatrance soon hopefully it's not loud. How long have you had it running? Sometimes pumps are a little loud when brand new and "break in" and quiet down some. As far as the out put goes what I did was cut a small piece of the long pipe off and put it in the 90 down towards the sump to reduce the noise of water falling.
 
Thanks for the tip - yeah I have the aquatrance version, seems like it quieted down a bit after a day or so...I still hear some noise but not nearly as loud.

Is this the newer version with the aquatrance pump or the older with the OTP pump? I have the older with the OTP pump and it's pretty quiet. Planning on changing it to the aquatrance soon hopefully it's not loud. How long have you had it running? Sometimes pumps are a little loud when brand new and "break in" and quiet down some. As far as the out put goes what I did was cut a small piece of the long pipe off and put it in the 90 down towards the sump to reduce the noise of water falling.
 
Thanks for the tip - yeah I have the aquatrance version, seems like it quieted down a bit after a day or so...I still hear some noise but not nearly as loud.
Glad to hear it. I'll be switching mine over to the aquatrance when I get a little time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new