Reef Octopus 150-S very noisy

Kustom71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed my new skimmer yesterday and was running it and it was very quiet. Realized it wasnt at the right sump water height so today i set it on a stand to correct height and now its noisy as hell. Ive read that it needs the breaking period but will it really get quieter?
Thought it my have been vibration from being on the stand but i lifted it upa little while running and still same noises.
Hoping this gets better...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have several Reef Octopus skimmers and while they are not silent they usually aren't super noisy. Which type of Reef Octopus skimmer is it (e.g. classic, regal, etc.)? What is the noise (vibration, air, bubbles, water, pump, etc.)?

OP
OP
K

Kustom71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 150-S so space saver that was super quiet when I was running it in 10.5 inches of water. I made a stand that put it were it supposed to be about 9 Inches of water and now it's loud. While on the stand I picked it up off it and it was still noisy. So it's not vibration it's from bubbles I guess. Held my finger over the vent in topof tube and it didn't get quieter. Just not sure if it's gonna be like this forever or will calm down after break in?
90 Gallon tank its in a trigger ruby 26 sump
I know I have to run it max speed for probably 2 weeks
Just asking questions

chthao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having same issue with my 150int. any updates?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s air — for the 150-S, you may consider checking the connections for the white hose (including the connections within red pipe). For the 150 INT, check the airline connections including at the Venturi and check the silencer (cover and uncover holes). Also check for pump noise, vibration, etc.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a 300 internal 1 week ago running at full blast at 7 1/2 inches of water and it’s so quiet from day 1 I can’t even hear it running

specsgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a Regal 150-sss (in about 7 3/4" of water) and it was so quiet I couldn't hear it at all from day 1.

Back