Reef octopus 150 skimmer question.

bassintoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new here and to saltwater tanks. building a 75 gallon cube and just ordered the reef octopus 150 skimmer. what do you guys think of it and what water depth does it seem to run best in. Thanks for any input and love the forum here.
Jimmy

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jimmy and welcome to r2r, have not had experience with reef octopus skimmer but have read good things about them. I am sure that someone will be able to help you out :D

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I have heard that they are really good and lots of people run them on here. We have a skimmer guy on here from time to time named MOJO that would help but you will have to look for him as I don't know how to reach him yet. But I'm sure if you wait someone will answer that know more about them. If not let me know I will see what I can find.

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the Reef Octopus 6 NWB-150 as well, it is in around 9" of water and seems to run just fine, I know Reef Octopus reccomends 6-10" but I havnt heard of a perfect water level yet.. I am also quite new to the reef world so I will be following along to hear what other people have to say! Still trying to dial in my skimmer for peak efficiency.

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jimmy,

I have been running the Reef Octopus 150 Skimmer on my 60 gallon for over a year now, and it's been working like a champ! My collection cup gets some really dark and nasty skimmate. I run it in 10" of water (that's where I set my baffles) and it works well. I've experimented with different heights by lifting the skimmer with a stand, and the performance was pretty consistent at all levels. Overall, I've been very happy with the skimmer's performance. I hope this helps.

Chris R.
MD Reef Squad

OP
OP
bassintoo

bassintoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone. building my sump now. just needed to kmow how tall to make my baffels. thanks for the help

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also running a NWB-150 I run it at a steady 7 inches and With medium skim not wet but not dry and love it to pieces. I also run a redline 100 by precision marine on another tank and both are great skimmer's but the reef octopus swirls the bubbles up instead of shooting them in to the chamber and I get a lot better results with the reef octopus.

OP
OP
bassintoo

bassintoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got it in 2 days ago. if nothing else it looks cool. got it in my tank with 9 inches of water just trying to get a jump on the break in. i put the sump all together today and found that i forgot to glue the bottom of one of my panels, now it leaks internal. not a big deal just have to tear it all back down. my biggest problem now is that my pump pumps way more than my drain can drain so it emptys the sump in about 10 seconds. going to re-engineer my plumbing tomorrow and add a gate valve to it.

EnV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using one for about a week now. I have it submerged in water up until right under where it says reef octopus.
Works great/skims great!

Cbenner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine a 8 1/2" and have tried 10, 9, 8, 7. I have found that between 8 and 9 works best for me. If it is a bit loud at the moment that will calm down in a month or so. I am very happy with my reef octopus and I have ran way more expensive units in the past. Just my 2 cents

Chris

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back