Reef octopus 5000EXT please tell me your experience

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I can’t be annoyed with the large in sump skimmer I’ve been using on my large tank. It’s not that I don’t like in sump skimmers but space is an issue as well as constant overflowing if the ATO gives a bit too much. I was holding out for the reef octopus 300ext but came across someone selling the slightly older 5000 ext. it also includes the automatic neck cleaner, I am paying $400 for the skimmer and cleaner.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with these models? I’ve seen several of the new ones in action and love the external feature but have never used or seen the older model external skimmers before. Is there anything I should be aware of? Thank you! Also can the newer varios pumps be used as a direct replacement on the 5000?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 3000 and love it!
TIoYStt.jpg

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you, do you know if you can use the new pumps as a replacement? I really like the varios pumps.
Do you an external pump to feed yours as well?
Funny you ask.... I just replaced the recirc pump. I was looking at the reef various pumps because of the cotrolability. I just wasn't sure if it would hook up to the uniouns properly. It certainly looks like it would, but I didn't want to pop for $300 and have the fittings not line up. So I just bought a new bubble blaster because thats what came with it when it was new. Still wish I had bought the various though. The little white pump is my feed pump. I think it's a reef octopus.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you ask.... I just replaced the recirc pump. I was looking at the reef various pumps because of the cotrolability. I just wasn't sure if it would hook up to the uniouns properly. It certainly looks like it would, but I didn't want to pop for $300 and have the fittings not line up. So I just bought a new bubble blaster because thats what came with it when it was new. Still wish I had bought the various though. The little white pump is my feed pump. I think it's a reef octopus.
What GPH rating does your feed pump have? I bought a 1200 gph recirc danner mag that I am hoping will be enough. Recommended is 800-1200 gph I believe, but I have it pushing sideways about 8'. I tested my old eheim that is pushing water out there now, about 60 gph lol. After 18 years she may be headed for retirement.
I have expereience with the newer recirc skimmers, I am hoping this one is fairly similar in operation. I also plan to reduce the input/output to 3/4", had to put a hole in the wall and I don't want another one lol.
Thanks again for the response. This skimmer is a beast... look forward to setting it up sunday.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What GPH rating does your feed pump have? I bought a 1200 gph recirc danner mag that I am hoping will be enough. Recommended is 800-1200 gph I believe, but I have it pushing sideways about 8'. I tested my old eheim that is pushing water out there now, about 60 gph lol. After 18 years she may be headed for retirement.
I have expereience with the newer recirc skimmers, I am hoping this one is fairly similar in operation. I also plan to reduce the input/output to 3/4", had to put a hole in the wall and I don't want another one lol.
Thanks again for the response. This skimmer is a beast... look forward to setting it up sunday.
I think my feed pump is rated at 1200 max but i have it dialed back to around 700. I only turn my tank over through the sump around 5-6 times an hour.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back