Reef Octopus Cal Reactor CR 70

Chroma24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

A LFS has one of these on sale at the moment, I've done some research but very little has come to the surface, and it is conflicting.

Has anyone here either used one in the past or has one now? and if so, how did/are you going with it?

Cheers

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s essentially a scaled down version of the older model Reef Octopus CR-100 CaRx with the thumbscrew lid. I have a BNIB one for cheap if you‘re interested, as I got my hands on a GEO 612. It’s constructed very well with sch 80 fittings and uses an OTP recirculating pump. It does have a fairly small reaction chamber at just 2.75” in diameter and 15” tall. How big of a tank are you looking to run one on?

OP
OP
Chroma24

Chroma24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s essentially a scaled down version of the older model Reef Octopus CR-100 CaRx with the thumbscrew lid. I have a BNIB one for cheap if you‘re interested, as I got my hands on a GEO 612. It’s constructed very well with sch 80 fittings and uses an OTP recirculating pump. It does have a fairly small reaction chamber at just 2.75” in diameter and 15” tall. How big of a tank are you looking to run one on?
Hey water dog, cheers for the info. ill be running a 30 gal, but I jus thought id ask first. haha and thanks for the offer , but I'm based in Australia so they'd probably charge me my soul for postage haha.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 30 gallon tank, I actually think the Octopus CR-70 would work quite well. More importantly, look into a quality feed pump. I think the new Kamoer fx-stp continuous duty variable speed peristaltic pump would work quite nicely with that calcium reactor.

OP
OP
Chroma24

Chroma24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 30 gallon tank, I actually think the Octopus CR-70 would work quite well. More importantly, look into a quality feed pump. I think the new Kamoer fx-stp continuous duty variable speed peristaltic pump would work quite nicely with that calcium reactor.
Oh nice :) so the pumps that come standard with most Cal reactors are sort of just that, standard?
At the end of the day I'd rather spend more for a quality lasting item

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the pump on the reactor recirculates CO2 enriched water through the reactor itself. That’s a recirculation pump, standard on all calcium reactors.

The Kamoer pump I recommended is a feed pump. It feeds water from the tank to the reactor. That Kamoer fx-stp pump lets you dial in precisely how much water is fed, thereby controlling precisely, your effluent rate.

Flashover49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon would it be to small? The one I want is sold out so need a better option?

Flashover49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work on a 90 gallon reef?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it’ll work, but if your consumption is high, you would be replacing the CaRx media rather quickly as it is on the small side in terms of the amount of media it can hold.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back