Reef Octopus Classic 152-S Protein Skimmer Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cavalina
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 13, 2021
Messages
47
Reaction score
35
Location
Raleigh, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In May of 2021, I purchased a Reef Octopus Classic 152-S Protein Skimmer on Amazon.com for my 75 gallon reef tank. The skimmer worked really well for me for a number of years. But with age, the bubble level started to decrease a little bit, so I purchased the Aquatrance Skimmer Pump 1800S back in January and after putting it in, the skimmer was performing better than ever. At least for a few months.

I'm not sure why, but for the past 60 days or so, no matter what I try, the bubble level has been very low and I am not getting any "sludge" in the collection cup. I know it can't be the pump, and I also know it is not the depth of the unit -- it has been at 7 inches deep in the sump since I've had it.

So I am confused and frustrated and almost ready to give up on this protein skimmer. I wanted to write to you guys though to see if you have any suggestions for me. Has the skimmer just run its course? Is there a newer model I need to get? I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?
 
Have you verified the airline isn't plugged up with salt creep or anything?
 
Have you verified the airline isn't plugged up with salt creep or anything?
LOL you beat me to it.

The skimmer on my FOWLR hasn't really collected much for a few months. I'm sure when I get around to servicing it I'll find either the hose or venturi is plugged up or there's muck and junk on the needle wheel. Maybe that's what I'll do today...
 
Yep, that was it. Doh! All good now -- thanks guys :-)
 
I have same issue but took everything apart and cleaned it and bubbles are still low
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new