Reef Octopus Classic SSS - A quick review - So happy!

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is by no means a new model and nothing more than a basic skimmer but for the benefit of people starting out in he hobby, I wanted to tell share my experience.
1599452933089.png

3 years ago I purchased my first ever protein skimmer - a Nyos Quantum. It looked great. Which, if I'm being honest, was one of the reasons I bought it despite my LFS recommending a Reef Octopus. It has worked fine for that period but got noisy a couple of weeks ago. I did all the maintenance but the pump noise continued. I tried to find a replacement pump but nothing doing here in Australia. I decided to use it as an excuse to buy a smaller skimmer for my new build.

I unboxed and assembled the Classic SSS in 5 minutes. No screwdrivers, no complicated assembly. Just hand tightening. Rinsed it quickly with RO water and put it straight in my sump. I more or less set it visually by twisting the adjusting pipe. None of the usually crazy overflowing. I set it, walked away and came back the next morning and it was bubbling along producing skimmate at the level I left it. I thought, surely it can't be that easy?

Sometimes you just have to experience 'okay' to appreciate what 'excellent' is. Just to the touch the acrylic was thick and more solid than my Nyos. Instead of having to remove 9 or so screws (with a screwdriver) and disassemble who knows how many components on my Nyos, I just need to hand unscrew 5 fasteners with the Classic. I could mess around constantly with the air intake and adjustment pipe on the Nyos and struggle to get some consistency. It tended to run high and overflow often even at the lowest setting with the sump level at the recommended height. Each time I cleaned it it would overflow. No such problems with the Classic. The classic It is quieter than the Nyos ever was.

If you are after a good quality, simple, entry level skimmer that does what it says on the box, I would recommend this product every time. It was half the price of the Nyos. I can't speak for it's performance over a few months or years but I am told to expect a long life. It's not the sexiest kit, but I won't mistake looks for quality again in this hobby.

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review. I have the same skimmer on my 66 gallon sps tank and love it. I bought it used here on R2R. Very easy to set up and agree with you regarding build quality. I do think the pump is however loud and wish I could quiet it.

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review. I have the same skimmer on my 66 gallon sps tank and love it. I bought it used here on R2R. Very easy to set up and agree with you regarding build quality. I do think the pump is however loud and wish I could quiet it.

So far my pump has run very quietly, at least in comparison to the previous product. I'm comforted by the fact I can get a replacement pump for it locally and cheaply if I have the same issue.

In Australia a lot of international companies tend to trade on a new product which is popular for a while and then they kind of exit the market with little or no support footprint. This is really just a product of being such a small, isolated market. This has been my experience with a few products and I've been burnt.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back