Reef Octopus HOB Bracket Measurements and Alternative Options

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to find a replacement bracket for the Reef Octopus I bought used, didn't come with the bracket. However I can't find one anywhere without absurd shipping.

It's a simple enough part that I believe I can make myself out of acrylic, I just need the thickness and dimensions of all the individual pieces that make up the bracket. I don't suppose anyone has one and can get those for me?

Or, does anyone have any ideas how else I might mount this to my tank? I imagine it's not a good idea long term to have the weight hanging on the intake/return pipes.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which model do you have, there are 5 different ones?

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 hangs from the pipes without any issues. But it has the leveling screws on the elbows. Looks like the 1000 hangs from the pipes too but it's leveling screw is on a bracket in-between the pipes. You can see an exploded view on the Reef Octopus website but you can purchase parts through Coralvue.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also has two leveling screws down at the bottom. Wonder if that might be enough.

My only concern, is the 1000 being a larger unit, if the weight may damage the pipes over time?

I know, but with a shipping cost+conversion it will cost $60+ to order one from CoralVue.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the 2 screws on the bottom would be enough. You can always just wedge a block on the top. Preferably something semi soft to absorb vibration.

The pipes are schedule 80 I don't think the weight from the unit with water will be an issue otherwise they never would've designed them like that. I've had mine for over 5 years without any issues. If anything they are too strong because I've never given them any thought while trying to pry off my intake strainer to clean it every few months while my skimmer was still on the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back