HOB gear-focused tank; is this too much weight hanging off the tank?

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of starting a 40 gallon reef aquarium focused on biodiversity and HOB gear.

The plan is to equip a 40G Acrylic tank with:
  • HOB Filter
  • HOB refugium (for copepods)
  • HOB protein skimmer
  • HOB algae scrubber
  • HOB media reactor
  • 2 LED lights
  • Heater
  • wavemaker
Seems like it would require to be plugged into 9 outlets...a few questions and topics of discussion here:
  1. Would this take up too much electricity for a standard outlet? I'd be getting (x2) 6-outlet extenders...I don't know anything about how electrical systems work
  2. Would this be too much weight hanging off a 40G acrylic tank? Could it compromise the integrity of the tank? I'm going with acrylic because I hear it's stronger and there's less of a risk of a leak or burst.
I'm curious if anyone has done this. I'm pretty excited for it since the gear is part of the fun of reefing for me.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all HOB. I would look at one single electrical outlet with 12 points.....you scrubber will take minimum two (pump and light(s)), so you're at 10 already. The only question is will there be enough space to hang on with the filter, refugiumand scrubber

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as the power, you should be fine as most standard breakers are 15amps and I dont think you are close to even that. This calculator will help with usage:
I agree and will just add that you'd basically want to add up max Watts for all of your equipment, convert to amps, and make sure you're not getting close to 15A.
*heaters tend to be the most power hungry

I have a 40 gallon with only HOB equipment (but no skimmer/fuge/reactors) and think I'm only around 4A max,,, mostly from 2x100W heaters and 2x55W LEDs.

OP
OP
permanaccour

permanaccour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all HOB. I would look at one single electrical outlet with 12 points.....you scrubber will take minimum two (pump and light(s)), so you're at 10 already. The only question is will there be enough space to hang on with the filter, refugiumand scrubber
I'd love to see a photo of your tank if you have one

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2277.JPG

125G

kodya12345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of starting a 40 gallon reef aquarium focused on biodiversity and HOB gear.

The plan is to equip a 40G Acrylic tank with:
  • HOB Filter
  • HOB refugium (for copepods)
  • HOB protein skimmer
  • HOB algae scrubber
  • HOB media reactor
  • 2 LED lights
  • Heater
  • wavemaker
Seems like it would require to be plugged into 9 outlets...a few questions and topics of discussion here:
  1. Would this take up too much electricity for a standard outlet? I'd be getting (x2) 6-outlet extenders...I don't know anything about how electrical systems work
  2. Would this be too much weight hanging off a 40G acrylic tank? Could it compromise the integrity of the tank? I'm going with acrylic because I hear it's stronger and there's less of a risk of a leak or burst.
I'm curious if anyone has done this. I'm pretty excited for it since the gear is part of the fun of reefing for me.
Get creative with it buddy , mark where each peice will hang by placing it on the tank , then if you are worried about the weight screw a little wooden block underneath where it will be sitting so the majority of the weight is held by the block but it is still in total contact with the tank hanging where it should

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back