Reef Octopus Recirculating Skimmer with No Sump?

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering adding a big, powerful Reef Octopus to my 180 mixed reef that has no sump. I was looking at the recirculating Skimmers and it occurred to me to just use a canister filter intake, perhaps with a sponge on it to prevent large particulate matter entering the system, feeding down onto the floor with an in-line pump externally drawing that water and then pushing it up to the skimmer which would be in a walk in closet, elevated higher than the aquarium, then just let that gravity feed back into the tank.

Considering the Regal 250 EXT and the VarioS 4 pump as the inline external workhorse for it.

Would this work?

1661272571334.png

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great idea! This way you can bubble scrub your tank at the same time. LOL!

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be returning water to your tank laiden with micro bubbles. No way around it, unless you have the return dump into some kind of filter sock first. But I don't think you want to have a filter sock hanging in your display tank.

Take it from someone who owns an RO 3000 dumping into a sump. I still have to have a sock capture the bubbles so they ddon't get over to the return chamber.
TIoYStt.jpg

OP
OP
MeanGreenStompa

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, I see. Perhaps I could have it return to some kind of chamber and then run down into the tank.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back