AvidReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody!
Two Questions:
1. I have a 75 gallon display and a 30 gallon tied to a 34 gallon sump. They are both housing predators, with a very high bioload.
I also am going to run a custom 5 cube/day algae scrubber. My skimmer chamber is 13" x 14". I'm also hoping for the possibility of running ozone in my skimmer. Which of the above skimmers would be better?
2. I lean toward the Elite model, but BRS says it's only rated for 75 to 100 gallons. The Regal model of the same size is rated for 100 to 210 gallons. If they have the same pump and are similar sizes, why such a large difference in rating?
I have done a lot of research on skimmers and these two seem to be some of the best within my budget, but if you can think of a better option, I'm all ears!

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody!
Two Questions:
1. I have a 75 gallon display and a 30 gallon tied to a 34 gallon sump. They are both housing predators, with a very high bioload.
I also am going to run a custom 5 cube/day algae scrubber. My skimmer chamber is 13" x 14". I'm also hoping for the possibility of running ozone in my skimmer. Which of the above skimmers would be better?
2. I lean toward the Elite model, but BRS says it's only rated for 75 to 100 gallons. The Regal model of the same size is rated for 100 to 210 gallons. If they have the same pump and are similar sizes, why such a large difference in rating?
I have done a lot of research on skimmers and these two seem to be some of the best within my budget, but if you can think of a better option, I'm all ears!
From personal experience I’m running regal on my 200g for almost three years. All I can say it’s a fantastic skimmer.

if you have a good flow in display and have another type of mechanical filtration (socks-roller …)
I think it will be sufficient. Although I think it would not be wrong if you can afford the 200. if you can fit an external pump in the sump it would be better ( easier to maintain and more reaction room)

Note if you are planning to run ozone the Elite line is rated for ozone not Regal.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the elite and regal is rated for up to 200gal per RO's website but thats proably a low bio load rating. I would take the BRS rating and apply it to the regal as well. If your systems are very high bio load as you said, i would look into going up a size for the 200 INT models

The elite has a wine glass body, one piece injection molded design, where as the regal seems like its pieced together isnt put together as nice. Performance wise I would think they are very similar just pick which ever one is cheaper

OP
OP
A

AvidReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the elite and regal is rated for up to 200gal per RO's website but thats proably a low bio load rating. I would take the BRS rating and apply it to the regal as well. If your systems are very high bio load as you said, i would look into going up a size for the 200 INT models
I was thinking the same thing, but I can't fit the 200 int in my sump. I could get the space saver version but I was really hoping for the external pump style. Is a larger skimmer with decreased performance better than a high performance smaller skimmer?
I've also been looking into trying to find a used Ultra Reef Akula 180 for under 500, but they're pretty uncommon.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing, but I can't fit the 200 int in my sump. I could get the space saver version but I was really hoping for the external pump style. Is a larger skimmer with decreased performance better than a high performance smaller skimmer?
I've also been looking into trying to find a used Ultra Reef Akula 180 for under 500, but they're pretty uncommon.
Im not really sure what you mean by “larger skimmer with degreased performance” or “smaller skimmer with high performance”. The 150 is not big enough to efficiently remove all the dissolved organics in the water so your water may be dirtier compared to say if you have a larger skimmer which can remove more in the same time span. In your case if you cant fit a bigger model reef octopus skimmer and don’t want use a space saving model version then you really are left with an undersized skimmer for your tank or go with other brands. The AquaMaxx ConeS DRC-2 Controllable In-Sump Protein Skimmer seems like a good alternative since its rated for 160gal with a heavy bioload with an externally mounted pump and cheaper than the Reef Octopus Elite.

The used Ultra Reef Akula 180 for under 500 doesn’t seem like a good deal. It has the same performance as the Reef Octopus 150s, the pump is AC and not controllable whereas a new Reef Octopus or AquaMaxx are both DC and controllable for a little more. You are getting a lot more features

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Regal 200 INT, for giggles and wiggles I put it on my 120 DT with 5 very large fish. The 200 is for my 220 tank still dry.
I was only able to pull one finger width in the skimmer cup per week. I finally pulled it and I put my Simplicity DC 240 back in, I was dumping a full cup of skim mate very 8 hours for weeks.
Get the 150. IMHO

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%

Back