Reef Octopus VarioS-8 - Flow vs Height test results

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed this thread. Nice work!

As a fellow ME and EE, I found your approach both thoughtful and valid. To claim your approach was missing a key element is inaccurate. Gallons per hour is a simple metric. It is the number of gallons moved within a one hour span, plain and simple. Water is essentially incompressible, but even if it wasn’t any change in its volume would be minuscule at the pressures we are talking about.

Well done!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, this is why included 5 outputs on my original return plumbing. I honestly want 100% throughput of the return system and am not looking to it whatsoever for added tank flow, at least from a prioritization viewpoint.

Yea, I thought about that. I will need to contact a mod for that.
I’m finding the first per hard to understand but from my mind it feels like ur saying your going to run it at 100%

I went in thinking the same thing but I now run my pumps at 80%
Depending on plumbing and so on and so forth
the extra gph you gain from running at 100% isn’t worth the wear and tear of the pump and surprisingly the energy consumption is not worth it either
it’s been awhile since I really looked into it but it was something like 90 watts for 650 gph or what I run it at now 70 watts for 598 gph
Now it’s ur pump and your system so you can do what u want I just thought I’d throw my two cents in

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've updated the videos which include the original faulty controller by removing references to Reef Octopus, Varios and/or CoralVue from their title and description (with exception to the included R2R url). Again, the manufacturer was very fair in this interaction and I just want to be sure not to leave any negative light on the product which might be misleading based on bad hardware.

You got a bad piece of hardware....nothing dishonest about that.

You got a replacement....to be expected.

Why go to the added bother of anonymizing any of that? It might be useful to another buyer or even another current owner to find your story.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a bad piece of hardware....nothing dishonest about that.

You got a replacement....to be expected.

Why go to the added bother of anonymizing any of that? It might be useful to another buyer or even another current owner to find your story.
That’s what I was thinking too. I search when something isn’t working and appreciate finding someone who solved the problem.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Skep18
How is your pump working now in your display tank ??
Glad everything worked out and you were able to get resolve on this issue.
I run a Varios 6 and Varois 8 return on my tank and love the flow that they produce as well as being quiet.
Initially I was running one inch return pipe and found that my choice to reduce the 1 1/4'' output from the pump was hindering the pump from reaching its intended flow. I upgraded my return plumbing to 1 1/4'' and this alone was miles ahead in terms of flow rate compared to the one inch pipe I was using before. With the 1'' I was able to run the pumps at 100%, Dual overflow in tank with dual herbie drains.
After changing the diameter of the pipe to match the manufactures design volute adapter to 1 1/4'' pipe I had to slow the pumps down and reconfigure my drain valves.
Big difference for sure that most do not understand about DC pumps not being pressure pumps but flow pumps and by restricting the flow to smaller diameter piping you are killing / reducing the flow largely.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Skep18
How is your pump working now in your display tank ??
Glad everything worked out and you were able to get resolve on this issue.
I run a Varios 6 and Varois 8 return on my tank and love the flow that they produce as well as being quiet.
Initially I was running one inch return pipe and found that my choice to reduce the 1 1/4'' output from the pump was hindering the pump from reaching its intended flow. I upgraded my return plumbing to 1 1/4'' and this alone was miles ahead in terms of flow rate compared to the one inch pipe I was using before. With the 1'' I was able to run the pumps at 100%, Dual overflow in tank with dual herbie drains.
After changing the diameter of the pipe to match the manufactures design volute adapter to 1 1/4'' pipe I had to slow the pumps down and reconfigure my drain valves.
Big difference for sure that most do not understand about DC pumps not being pressure pumps but flow pumps and by restricting the flow to smaller diameter piping you are killing / reducing the flow largely.

Running really well now. Still trying to figure how much flow through the sump I want with the tradeoff being the water pouring over the weir making too much noise but I'm running 70% at the moment. But the controller really fixed my issue. So far I'm pleased.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running really well now. Still trying to figure how much flow through the sump I want with the tradeoff being the water pouring over the weir making too much noise but I'm running 70% at the moment. But the controller really fixed my issue. So far I'm pleased.

Nice, thanks for the update.
Tried sending you a PM but couldnt, sent me a message if you like I would like to pick your brain on something.

pondman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, @Skep18 . I am interested in the size of you jug or better still can you tell me the flow rate from your video test at 6ft with the Jeboa 10000 ? Thanks in advance!

Back