Reef-pi 5.3 Error message when trying to add additional PCA9685 driver

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi me again im having a problem setting up an additional driver on my Reef-Pi/Robo-Tank for PCA9685 getting error message {"errer":"Failed to create.Error: remote I/O error"}|HTTP 500. ihave tried setup from my PC with Chrome and Explorer, and Chromuim on pi using pi 192 address and 127.0.0.0:80 with no luck. Verified pi is seeing and there are no other devices on the same I2C network so it appears to be a problem with reef-pi. Need hep above my paygrade @Ranjib ,@robsworld78
After getting it config still may not be able to use it based on the distance from pi that i need to run cable I2C is limited on distance.
With advanced Tasmota driver i would not need PCA9685 i could use a ESP32/8266 with even more function's IMG_0690.JPEG IMG_0691.JPEG .

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well add error message for MQTT {"error":"json: cannot unmarshal string into Go struct field MQTTConfig.mqtt.retained of type bool"} | HTTP 400 @Ranjib @robsworld78

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not really sure why it's not working, can you add a different driver just as a test or do they all fail?

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm assuming the addresses are:
  • 0x40 / #64 (no jumpers)
  • 0x41 / #65 (A0 bridged)
As those show up in your i2cdetect.

Did you enter address 41 for the new PCA9685 driver ? That is "incorrect" since it is actually 0x41, so hexadecimal for the decimal number #65. Reef-Pi is however expecting a decimal there, so you should try entering number 65 as address.

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sral yeah made that mistake at first doesn’t matter what I enter same error message plus the MQTT error setup adafruit.Io for monitoring on getting half of info. Setup email and text messages was trying to see how fare I could extend temp sensor wire lost connection with sensor got 5 text messages ever hour for a week 2 hours after unplugging temp sensor. I literally have over 500 messages and still get them. Now the only way I can get into Reefpi is to use my monitor chromium and address 127.0.0.1:80 it will not even let me use my pi IP address to access. I’m really starting to wish I never heard of reef pi saved up a little money and bought an Apex system can’t getting it all running without something going wrong at least with Apex there is custom support. With Reefpi I’m at the mercy of this forum and hoping someone will help. I decided to setup a controller so I could spend more time enjoying watching my fish and corals grow but now I spend all my time in front of a computer reading forums and search the internet because there is no support for Reefpi. It’s a good thing it free

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sral yeah made that mistake at first doesn’t matter what I enter same error message plus the MQTT error setup adafruit.Io for monitoring on getting half of info. Setup email and text messages was trying to see how fare I could extend temp sensor wire lost connection with sensor got 5 text messages ever hour for a week 2 hours after unplugging temp sensor. I literally have over 500 messages and still get them. Now the only way I can get into Reefpi is to use my monitor chromium and address 127.0.0.1:80 it will not even let me use my pi IP address to access. I’m really starting to wish I never heard of reef pi saved up a little money and bought an Apex system can’t getting it all running without something going wrong at least with Apex there is custom support. With Reefpi I’m at the mercy of this forum and hoping someone will help. I decided to setup a controller so I could spend more time enjoying watching my fish and corals grow but now I spend all my time in front of a computer reading forums and search the internet because there is no support for Reefpi. It’s a good thing it free
Well, I would test a few things.

Since you are using Robo-Tank the
first PCA9685 is build in, right ?
The second one is connected through the I2C port. How long is the wire to the External PCA9685 ?
Does the pH circuit work properly ?
Secondly I would write you a short c++ script to see whether that can establish a connection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I would test a few things.

Since you are using Robo-Tank the
first PCA9685 is build in, right ?
The second one is connected through the I2C port. How long is the wire to the External PCA9685 ?
Does the pH circuit work properly ?
Secondly I would write you a short c++ script to see whether that can establish a connection.
Yes first one is built in.
second one is connected to the I2C explanation port on the front of the robo-tank controller.
Current wire length is 3in or 75mm
Ph circuit works fine can add addition ph drivers without sensor
can add additional drivers for most item listed without having them
I2Cdetect shows it there and gone when removed.
Problem is in reef-pi software

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, that sounds interesting and I tend to agree with you.

I'll still send you a test script for the PCA9685, just to be sure. I'll probably try to fetch a board ID or the current frequency through I2C so you wont even need a multimeter for that.

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, that sounds interesting and I tend to agree with you.

I'll still send you a test script for the PCA9685, just to be sure. I'll probably try to fetch a board ID or the current frequency through I2C so you wont even need a multimeter for that.
Thank you I’ll try it when I get it between you and @robsworld78 u 2 have been my only help.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have uploaded the code to my GitHub. It's based on @robsworld78's pH script again ^^
Here's the code to dowload, compile and execute:

Code:
sudo wget -c https://github.com/Sral931/reefPi/raw/main/scripts/pca9685_test.cpp

g++ pca9685_test.cpp -o pca9685_test

./pca9685_test

The result should look like this:
Code:
PCA9685 Test Script
Using i2cAddress        64
------------------------
preScaler = XX
Using i2cAddress        65
------------------------
preScaler = YY

Sadly I have my PCA9685 not set up yet, so I can't test that. I have therefore written the script that it tests the default PCA9685 address first. Since you know that this one works, it should give you a value there if my script communicates correctly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, seems like your circuit might be broken. Strange, since it does show up on I2C.

I’ll write another script that tries to set the value first.
I don’t think that’s the case because my ph probe works and the built in pca9685 works. I get that error message if it hooked up or not. Did you look at any of the other stuff I sent you on alternative? Thank you again for your help.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that’s the case because my ph probe works and the built in pca9685 works. I get that error message if it hooked up or not. Did you look at any of the other stuff I sent you on alternative? Thank you again for your help.
I meant that your second PCA9685 might be broken. It's address shows up but the further functionality might be damaged.

About the other stuff I probably wont look at it too soon, since I am most of the times happy when I even find enough time to work on my own setup :grinning-face-with-sweat:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back