Reef Pi Build

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this whole reef-pi thing is a kind of like a beta test, because each build is so unique and there isn't a 1 size fits all solution, but that is the thing I love about it.

I know, right!?

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond, I noticed you used aviation plug connectors on your build, did you use ethernet cable to build the leads that run from one box to another?

Yes the aviation connectors are running from my controller to my lights with a cat5 cable. I thought they would be a good choice, they are kinda hard to solder but make for a good solid connection.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it turned out ok! Im chicken and dont trust the optical sensors so went with the two float switches in series.

I'm considering trying a couple of float switches myself. Not sure what happened with the optical sensor but I have since disabled them till I can figure it out what's going.

Tristanzs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the aviation connectors are running from my controller to my lights with a cat5 cable. I thought they would be a good choice, they are kinda hard to solder but make for a good solid connection.
I was considering using 18 gauge thermostat wire for the aviation plugs as it is solid core and can have up to eight cores shielded

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my primary concern, how difficult it would be to solder 24 AIG wire. I'm building a parts list to order next week. I'll start a thread once parts are ordered.
I used 18 gauge solid core wire inside my light fixture to run from the AV connectors to the drivers and it was much easier to solder than the cat5.
Can't wait to see your build thread!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I had my first major issue with reef-pi. My ATO has been working great and doing it's job keeping my water level where it needs to be. Last night the power went off for about an hour and when reef-pi restarted the ATO ran until the ato container was empty dumping about 1 1/2 gallon of water into the system.
I just noticed it when I went this morning to fill my ATO and saw the pump was still running and the container was empty. Not a huge deal as it only changed my salinity from 1.026 to 1.025 and the pump didn't burn up.
I'm just glad it didn't happen when the reservoir was full. So after a water change with some strong salt mix I got my salinity back to where it needs to be.

I did some testing on the sensor to check that it was working properly and found that when I put the sensor in water the outlet controlling the pump is staying on no matter if the sensor is in or out of the water.
Could it be the sensor got damaged with the power going off? Or maybe something in the software?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was an issue with these sensors not responding correctly if reef pi starts and the sensors are submerged but I can't find the post now in the mega thread.

@Ranjib any ideas?
I have just merged a feature to automatically disable ato when the pump usage goes above the alert threshold. While working on this I also found and fixed an alert logic bug. This will be shipped as part of 2.2 soonish.
https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/699

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped receiving the alert I set up for this thread. It appears that if one happens to miss clicking on an alert they stop receiving alerts from that thread. I addressed this with the "powers that be" but never received a reply from them. I've raised three different questions with them and did not receive any answers.

Anyway, happy I stopped by and saw all the updates for the last few several days. Goes to show how much can be missed in a very short time. Thanks for all the beta-testing!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it turned out ok! Im chicken and dont trust the optical sensors so went with the two float switches in series.
I dont trust the optical either. I have done alot of work with industrial controls, and there are reasons that fluid levels in industry are still controlled with mechanical floats. They are simple to understand, easy to set up and bullet proof in operation.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 18 gauge solid core wire inside my light fixture to run from the AV connectors to the drivers and it was much easier to solder than the cat5.
Can't wait to see your build thread!
Home depot also sells a 4 conductor 18awg stranded cable by the foot. In store its called security system cable, stranded takes solder better than solid conductors.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back