reef pi headles remote access

1reepher-zn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all i recently decided to try out the building a reef pi all is going smoothly except for the remote controlling the reef pi as i went headles with the intsall is there any easy way around this

TIA

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Suggest you go to the long reef-Pi thread - which will help you with this in all probability

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@mods - can you move this to the reef-pi threads?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Moved to Aquarium Controller forum. Other #reefpi users can hopefully help.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but i want to access the reef-pi remotely when im not on my home network
got ya.. not really recommended.. you need to open up a port on your router to allow that traffic to go thru and then you would need to know what your external ip address to your router is... leaving this open allows anyone open to it.

Alternatively you could use a remote desktop service to connect to a computer at home.. there are lots of different software todo this, you can do a google search and pick your poison.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got ya.. not really recommended.. you need to open up a port on your router to allow that traffic to go thru and then you would need to know what your external ip address to your router is... leaving this open allows anyone open to it.

Alternatively you could use a remote desktop service to connect to a computer at home.. there are lots of different software todo this, you can do a google search and pick your poison.
Another option is to use a VPN service into your home network.

I think FritzBox Routers offer this kind of service.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entire reef-pi ui is powered by the underlying API. you can use api (through curl) or reef-pi db command to even low level headless operation.

OP
OP

1reepher-zn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entire reef-pi ui is powered by the underlying API. you can use api (through curl) or reef-pi db command to even low level headless operation.

i have no idea what you mean by this could please explain this to me

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no idea what you mean by this could please explain this to me
You can access the reef-pi via a command line with the curl command or use it to write code to the api. Not really what you are looking for, as you are asking for access to the frontend of the reef-pi from outside your home network.

biznatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From outside your home, a VPN is the only acceptable solution. Do NOT setup port forwarding on your router from external. The most secure solution is to setup a VPN host at your house (on the router) and directly connect to that, but that would require setting up DynDNS and I think it's quite a bit outside of your skill set. So your best bet would be a 3rd party solution that makes it easy for nontech users, and follow their documentation.

OP
OP

1reepher-zn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From outside your home, a VPN is the only acceptable solution. Do NOT setup port forwarding on your router from external. The most secure solution is to setup a VPN host at your house (on the router) and directly connect to that, but that would require setting up DynDNS and I think it's quite a bit outside of your skill set. So your best bet would be a 3rd party solution that makes it easy for nontech users, and follow their documentation.
ok ....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back