Reef-Pi Questions

CarpCharacin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions about the Reef-Pi tank controller system. I'm not planning on using it on a reef tank, I'm actually thinking about using it on a freshwater pond for pH and temp monitoring, but can it be used to just monitor the temperature without controlling it? Also, can it be used with an ammonia probe to monitor ammonia?

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef-pi can monitor ph and temperature without controlling anything.
There currently isn't any support for an ammonia probe, although it may be possible to use RobertoB's pH/ORP circuit to measure ammonia. I actually hadn't heard of an ammonia probe, so I'm not sure how much it differs from pH or ORP probes.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , reef-pi is modular , and can be configured as monitor or controller . We have several users use it with freshwater system. I use it to control my model railroad as well :)
I would love to know about the ammonia probe if you have any information about it .

OP
OP
C

CarpCharacin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , reef-pi is modular , and can be configured as monitor or controller . We have several users use it with freshwater system. I use it to control my model railroad as well :)
I would love to know about the ammonia probe if you have any information about it .
I know the Seneye monitor can monitor ammonia, but I'm not exactly sure what kind of sensor is used.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the Seneye monitor can monitor ammonia, but I'm not exactly sure what kind of sensor is used.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

I use reef pi on a freshwater planted tank.
You can just make a build to monitor and/or control, the great part is you can customize the build for your needs.

Decide what you aim to do, start a build thread and you will get plenty of helpful advice here!

OP
OP
C

CarpCharacin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that I'll probably go with a Pi 3 B+ instead of the Pi Zero, as the B+ has Ethernet. I also found a Reef-Pi hat, that I'm thinking of getting instead of a solderable breadboard: https://www.tindie.com/products/Ranthalion/ml-reef-pi-hat-v3/
If I get that, would I still need the ezo board from Atlas Scientific for the pH probe?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hat you got is from @Michael Lane.
Its an excellent hat and saves time, money and soldering. You still need a board to interface for ph. You can get the atlas ezo board or i think Michael Lane also sells ph boards that were deaigned for reef pi. Look on Tindie from the same seller.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd still need a pH interface board and probe with that hat. I've used the Atlas Scientific pH board in the past, and didn't have any concerns (as long as you also get the isolator). The isolation is built in RobertoB's board, so it's easier to wire together.
The reef-pi hat v2 is a bit cheaper since it's much easier to build, and has better documentation, but it's pretty much the same as the on you linked.

OP
OP
C

CarpCharacin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd still need a pH interface board and probe with that hat. I've used the Atlas Scientific pH board in the past, and didn't have any concerns (as long as you also get the isolator). The isolation is built in RobertoB's board, so it's easier to wire together.
The reef-pi hat v2 is a bit cheaper since it's much easier to build, and has better documentation, but it's pretty much the same as the on you linked.
The v3 has smaller connectors, so which one works with the JST cable that you can get with RobertoB's pH board?

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CarpCharacin Welcome and I wish you the best of luck!

IMO I would use the https://www.tindie.com/products/Ranthalion/ml-reef-pi-hat-v3/ and https://www.tindie.com/products/Ranthalion/isolated-ph-probe-interface-for-reef-pi/ I really wish I went with the pi hat as @Michael Lane has amazing products I have 2 of his mars aqua lighting controllers and the ph board on my build which you can see in my signature or here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-pi-the-all-in-one-pi-challenge.592733/

He also provides amazing support! There isn't a way to measure ammonia yet but the problem I had with the Seneye was that A. you need a computer on windows next to the tank 24/7 and you know windows sucks and restarts all the time without knowing and I didn't trust my tank with that or you could buy their overpriced wifi thing. B. The montly upkeep cost as Seneye Slide Ammonia & pH(6.5-9) 3pk for 34$ is good for three months and costs 12$ a month. C. There really isnt any other good functionality.

Meanwhile reef-pi for me with everything was about the same cost and does so so much more such as power control, temperature control, auto top off, lighting control, ph control and monitoring, dosing, and so much more plus its all diy and able to be upgraded in the future without having to buy a full new one.

Plus there is an amazing community supporting and developing and helping users out!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back