Reef-pi/robo-tank: any regrets?

Coach v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am rebooting my reef tanks and want a controller. I have a 120 and 29 gallon tanks tied to a single basement sump (the 29 gallon is also located in basement). I have a 20 gallon observation/hospital tank that is its own SYSTEM (no sump) in the sump room, plus I would like to control heating for HTTM. My last controller was an old school aquacontroller Jr, but I cannot get temp probe to stay calibrated. I currently use ink bird heat control on my main system and simple light timers and a Tunze ato (which has issues, it is old).

I am considering getting a reef-pi/robo-tank controller. I enjoy diy and have decent soldering skills.

Does anyone regret going Reef-pi? Advice and/or suggestions.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, controllers are made with Pis now?

Back in the day that wasn't an option and I had a classic APEX Neptune.

I messed around with a PI a few years ago for our brewpub, made something to detect if the cooler ever shut down, we lost power or the temp got too high. Was pretty fun, still have it laying around.

Might be something fun to try for my next tank. But the Apex was bullet proof...

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am rebooting my reef tanks and want a controller. I have a 120 and 29 gallon tanks tied to a single basement sump (the 29 gallon is also located in basement). I have a 20 gallon observation/hospital tank that is its own SYSTEM (no sump) in the sump room, plus I would like to control heating for HTTM. My last controller was an old school aquacontroller Jr, but I cannot get temp probe to stay calibrated. I currently use ink bird heat control on my main system and simple light timers and a Tunze ato (which has issues, it is old).

I am considering getting a reef-pi/robo-tank controller. I enjoy diy and have decent soldering skills.

Does anyone regret going Reef-pi? Advice and/or suggestions.
Hi, I can't really answer for you, most people are happy but there has been a few who decided to go a different route, I guess it depends on what you want to do. These days not a lot of soldering is needed, for the DIY kits just a few connectors on the main controller, everything else is fully assembled. If you have a 3D printer you can assemble things. If you are just looking for temp, pH, ATO and lights it should do well for you. If you already have a Raspberry Pi you can install reef-pi and play some to see how you feel. Here's some reviews so you can see what real users have to say.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back