Reef-pi computer and settings

carbondave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently came across the reef pi controller and am super interested in it, particularly the robo tank implementation (mostly so I don't have to learn how to build electrical circuits/solder, buy all of the tools, etc.) One question I have is which model Raspberry Pi to get. General consensus seems to be either zero or 3 B+. Given the low price point of each I may be overthinking things, but I'm curious to hear others' experience with each, in particular understanding what equipment you have hooked up, sampling frequency, and performance. To start I'm planning to have the following sensors and sampling intervals, although I'm sure I will add devices over time:
Temp probe: 1s
Optical level sensor: 1s
pH: 60s

Would appreciate any insight you all have into these frequencies and the performance of the Raspberry Pi computers.
@Ranjib
@robsworld78

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems fun, wish they were around when I had my tank.

The Apex was great, and I'd probably try a smaller less critical tank with the Pi...

Did mess around with a Pi building a monitor for the cooler at our brewpub...

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a RP 4 ( I all ready had it) with Rob's hat (RoboTank) monitors temp and pH I also use it to control non critical things like the ability to turn off my skimmer, ATO, flow pumps and return for when I do maintenance with a simple macro using Rob's power AC power-bar.

I also use the sensors as a backup.. ie I have a temp controller plugged into the power bar.. so the ref-pi backs up the temp controller which backs up the heater.

The ATO is plugged into it as well and the water level sensor backs up my ato sensor.

I dont have any experience with the other pi's so i will let others chime in.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into it as well, whitebox makes a 5 port ezo circuitboard with 2 isolated circuits and 2 ports for standalone isolated ezo circuits. From what i've seen, the ezo circuits are highly sensitive and will give inaccurate results if handled improperly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back