Reef-pi with expanded drivers for Tasmota and NodeMCU ESP32/8226 would allow massive wireless sensors and control devices.

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I would really like it if you would look into updating Tasmota drivers.Somewhere i saw you mention possible adding ESP32 to Reef-Pi if that the case and your serious about it then you really need to take a good look at Tasmota it is the easiest thing i have found for config ESP32/8226 boards and smart devices with those chips. I have 3 NodeMcu/8226 each with 16 GPIO pins but i can only use 1 pin on each NodeMCU but the driver will only allow you to use one GPIO pin, but you can use multiple NodeMCU because each has it own IP addresses. Just think about it with a few line of code add to the Reef-pi driver to able to interpret and few line of code from Tasmota i could have 48 possilde inputs or outputs wireless inputted into Reef-pi. This would open up a whole word of opportunities to reef-pi espicall with people with multiple tanks and the coast of pi's these days. you can by a NodeMCU or ESP 32 for under 12.00us on Amazon and even cheaper if you buy multiples at on time. Config these boards is simple enough that most people including myself cane figure out. So please i beg you take a look at Tasmota. I would be willing to be a beta tester i have 2 pie and there tank, on just being a quarantine tank with on fish that if the whole system cashed because of a new Reef-Pi config/driver it would mater there would be no lose its the perfect test tank.Please let me know i'm sure once more people found out about the uses and possiblily of using Tasmota and ESP32/8226 and the doors it opens you will get alot more request.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer with the question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I would really like it if you would look into updating Tasmota drivers.Somewhere i saw you mention possible adding ESP32 to Reef-Pi if that the case and your serious about it then you really need to take a good look at Tasmota it is the easiest thing i have found for config ESP32/8226 boards and smart devices with those chips. I have 3 NodeMcu/8226 each with 16 GPIO pins but i can only use 1 pin on each NodeMCU but the driver will only allow you to use one GPIO pin, but you can use multiple NodeMCU because each has it own IP addresses. Just think about it with a few line of code add to the Reef-pi driver to able to interpret and few line of code from Tasmota i could have 48 possilde inputs or outputs wireless inputted into Reef-pi. This would open up a whole word of opportunities to reef-pi espicall with people with multiple tanks and the coast of pi's these days. you can by a NodeMCU or ESP 32 for under 12.00us on Amazon and even cheaper if you buy multiples at on time. Config these boards is simple enough that most people including myself cane figure out. So please i beg you take a look at Tasmota. I would be willing to be a beta tester i have 2 pie and there tank, on just being a quarantine tank with on fish that if the whole system cashed because of a new Reef-Pi config/driver it would mater there would be no lose its the perfect test tank.Please let me know i'm sure once more people found out about the uses and possiblily of using Tasmota and ESP32/8226 and the doors it opens you will get alot more request.
Can you link a few popular tasmota hardware that I can use to test with ?

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah anything that has a ESP32 chip or esp8226 chip can be flashed with tasmota. From ESP32/8226 board 78E27C97-5785-4375-8317-17FFA16C0115.jpeg DB87804B-7A2D-49F8-B18A-1F871840B701.jpeg
Which can not only turn on and off devices with relays they have GPIO pins like a pi can be used for sensor tx-rx communication with DS18B20 I2C communication cold be used with ph probed pca9865 etc. all controlled with MQTT simple setup. By the way any device with those chips can be flash with tasmota Shelly’s sonoff literally anything that has those chips that you can access the internal pens. and https://tasmota.github.io/docs/
Is a good intoduction. Just google Tasmota there are hundreds of web pages and videos most based on home automation. You said in an interview at Reef-a-palooza that Reefpi was an open source software to allow diy people to buy off the shelf electronic and build there own controller. Problem with Reefpi is that the average dyi people have no idea how to program Reefpi beyond the user ui. You used Search of Obscure platform with go that no one know how to use. Unlike python , Arduino IDE , anode-Red or several Other commonly used programs. The nice thing about Tasmota is that is use friendly with built in web ui built in to configure the pins. Like I said Prior to this post if you look into it it opens up a new world for REEFPI especially in corporating it with MQTT.

Attachments

• 6510AF9C-E54F-4045-BC02-73734137828F.png
    6510AF9C-E54F-4045-BC02-73734137828F.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about anything you have that Wi-Fi controlled has a ESP32/8223 chip. My RedSea led 50 has an esp chip my AQAMAI-HYDOR has a an ESP32 chip they all do expect Ecotech with uses a rf communication system.by the way coral box makes a wi-fi controller from Jebao pumps and power heads.pm me a we can talk about it.

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning to go through the tasmota driver and see what I need to update to support multiple outlets. That should not be lot of work. But I don’t know how effective it will be , as the end to end use will involve source and flashing the drivers for a target equipment . Hence I’m reluctant .

but im more looking forward to implement a generic interface (api ) in reef-pi that can be used by any custom/diy system as long as they stick to that protocol. And then also do some esp32 based temperature , ato , equipment control modules that uses the protocol. This will allow users to augment their build with microcontroller. Dovetailing on that work I‘ll also focus on running reef-pi smoothly on intel or any mini pc like system (and even laptop/workstation) , so that users won’t need raspberry pi to run reef-pi .

OP
OP
Wolfw28

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning to go through the tasmota driver and see what I need to update to support multiple outlets. That should not be lot of work. But I don’t know how effective it will be , as the end to end use will involve source and flashing the drivers for a target equipment . Hence I’m reluctant .

but im more looking forward to implement a generic interface (api ) in reef-pi that can be used by any custom/diy system as long as they stick to that protocol. And then also do some esp32 based temperature , ato , equipment control modules that uses the protocol. This will allow users to augment their build with microcontroller. Dovetailing on that work I‘ll also focus on running reef-pi smoothly on intel or any mini pc like system (and even laptop/workstation) , so that users won’t need raspberry pi to run reef-pi .
Future sounds good something Node-Red would be good. They even have a version call node-pad which runs on apple iOS on a iPad. All you need is a server with MQTT and your done.

Litserv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multi outlets/sockets with Tasmota: 3 separately controllable power sockets plus 3 5V USB outlets, controllable together. I would like to use the device with Reef-Pi, but it's not possible; only Tasmota devices with 1 socket are supported. Or am I wrong?

Here're some pictures showing the multi socket Tasmota device.

Would it be possible to support such devices?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-19 um 20.40.13.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-19 um 20.40.13.png
    685.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-19 um 20.40.39.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-19 um 20.40.39.png
    753 KB · Views: 7
  • Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-19 um 20.41.23.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-19 um 20.41.23.png
    861.6 KB · Views: 9

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back