Reef Radiance led light..OMG..What a light....

REEF RADIANCE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joel,

At the risk being impolite - I repeat what I said earlier. It does not matter where it is made it is who makes it. As I pointed out before - some really bad products are made here in the US and some really great products are made in China or elsewhere. We live in a global economy and American and other nation's consumers are going to purchase items that they get a good value on and trust. Is your cellular phone made in the US? I mean the one you use? Is the computer you typed your message on made in the US? Unlikely. But I am sure you can make really great calls and your computer worked just fine creating this message. You seem to be stuck on the idea that there is this inherently intrinsic value in something being made in the US. You point out that the companies you represent - formally or other wise - make some of the parts of their lights in the US. These products are also very pricey - and before you call me out on pricey - since this is not a debate - I will clarify what I mean by that word. I drive a Ford Escape. It is great and fits aquariums and my dog and gets great gas mileage, and cost significantly less than my wife's BMW. My Ford is very much like the lights we sell at Reef Radiance - they get the job done and don't break the bank. The three companies you mention are good lights and I am sure light up tanks well - at significantly higher costs. If you have taken the time to read our mission statement - it is all about getting great products as great prices into the hands of the vast majority of hobbyists who cannot afford to purchase two Radion Pros at $1900 for their tank - or other lights at prices like this. So if your point is that the prices charged for the lights from the companies in your post is justified because they are made in the US - then I suggest you pick up your chinese cell phone and speak to the American Hobbyist public and they will tell you exactly the same thing. Or read the posts after yours - all of them...............Rick

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job. Waiting on my light from rick also. Should be here Monday. Would like something like that. Did you have to do some wielding?

Nope. Just bolted together. I'll take close ups. Tonight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

bigredneck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool mount man. This is how I have mine mounted in my 180
a5u8ega8.jpg
hegabeja.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fr

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some detailed pics. Total cost was about $20-$25. It involved a 3' square tube (1"), 3' angle (1/16" x 3/4) and 4' bar (1/4"x1") plus a pack of 4-40 x 1/2" screws and nuts. I has the other bolts and wing nuts in my toolbox.
ju4ype8u.jpg

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Now that I see these pics, I may need to put the angles on top of the other bar so the light weight isn't on the threads of the bolt.

jacobb89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through this and talking to RR though pm I think they will get NY business for 3 of the pro series for my 180.
May be stealing some of the ideas from that bracket you made since hanging mine would be a pain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rob in Puyallup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Pickupman...

It's very obvious to me that your toolbox is fuller than mine.

How'd you bend all that metal and drill those holes?

Someone should be making these hangers and sell em!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Pickupman...

It's very obvious to me that your toolbox is fuller than mine.

How'd you bend all that metal and drill those holes?

Someone should be making these hangers and sell em!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Rob.. it paid off being a tool rep to a national retail chain. I have a nice 8 drawer toolbox that is pretty full. To bend it I just put it in a bench vice and then heated it with a small butane torch. Once it was hot it bent much easier and I bent it about 45 degrees. Then took my speed square and moved the metal up and did it again. Have the long end up and use that as leverage. I also have a small benchtop drill press. Does a great job drilling anything I can get under it.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 4

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my lights installed and I am very pleased. The color temp. is amazing, I thought I was so happy with my diy multi chips but these white leds have a much better color to them. I can't wait to see if my coral finally responds to leds.

The install was kind of ghetto since I did it last night without extra hardware. I just drilled a small hole through the canopy and ran the hanging wire through that and anchored it to lug bolts in the top of my canopy.

Last edited:

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights are at minimum brightness, I have all low light coral so I think the minimum setting will be good enough.

uploadfromtaptalk1380742929699.jpg

Back