reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Start!!! Following.
Great to have company.

How is your skimmer doing? Mine is still putting out a ton of micro bubbles, I have been running it for 2 weeks now.
Skimmer seems to be running well. Mine has been running a little over 2 weeks as well even though the cycling is only on it's 8th day. I have the skimmer cup relatively high and have only last few days lower it down to pickup more junk during the cycling process.

Micro bubbles - I see a small amount going into the display. It's nothing annoying. I think from a normal view, it's not even noticeable unless you are looking for it. Time will tell how this will turn out I think.

I did try a few options to help using filter floss and sponge in an attempt to reduce it more. I did noticed it did raised the water level up slightly on the skimmer compartment. Will retry once I start getting CUC within the next 1-2 weeks.

How high is your water level in the return pump compartment? If the water level is relatively low compare to the skimmer compartment, that may increase the bubbles. Mine is only 1.5" below the skimmer compartment. It's worth a shot to see if that helps you.

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the water in the return compartment about middle way up in the compartment. I thought about adding some floss to the skimmer area to help with the bubbles also. I see a ton of bubbles but I will give it a few more days to see if they die down.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great start. Definitely following.

How do you like that Maxspec Razor? I am pondering alternative lighting like Giesemann Vervve or similar like yours because of light spread concerns.

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would mention that I also have a OR Artic T247 that I will probably put over my tank later on once I add some SPS. It is way more powerful than the maxspect but the maxspect looks a litttle more sleeker. But the T247 will provide a even better coverage.. Just FYI

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest view
Here's the latest view of the tank as of this afternoon.
IMG_20170611_174725.jpg

Here's an open view underneath the tank :D
IMG_20170611_174526.jpg

Latest update includes the following:

Cycling - Day 8

So it's just 8th day into the cycling process and the tank looks like it too. I did add in some additional rocks since it's cycling so why not go ahead and cycle additional rocks in the process for later. Once this is cycled, I plan to move them away from the display and use them to help place frags around.
DSC_2093-2.jpg

Neptune Systems Apex Controller

Setup to help monitor and self maintain the system. This is currently only setup for PH and temperature monitoring. The unit also came with Salinity and ORP but I don't need ORP monitoring yet. I tried setting Salinity but for some reasons I couldn't get the approriate setup using the provided solution so I decided to put that off until later. For now the refactometer will do.
IMG_20170518_090836.jpg

Here's a close up view.
IMG_20170611_174411.jpg

ATO + RODI Container
I setup the Tunze Osmolator topoff using a 2.5G container for RODI. Currently this container is small enough and not too big. The plus is that it already has build in hole for water.

The left container is for my other nano tank (Evo 13G).
IMG_20170611_174513.jpg

Wavemakers
This currently setup with Ecotech MP10WQD and Turbelle Nanostream 6040 mounted on either end of the tank. I end up mounting the control on the door underneath the tank for easy access.
IMG_20170611_174557.jpg

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would mention that I also have a OR Artic T247 that I will probably put over my tank later on once I add some SPS. It is way more powerful than the maxspect but the maxspect looks a litttle more sleeker. But the T247 will provide a even better coverage.. Just FYI

Thanks. Will keep an eye for that when you decide to mount them.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's finally time to add in the clean up crew. The tank definitely look like it needed too.

To keep things slow and see how things go I added
- 3 Trochus snails
- 2 Cerith snails

Looking forward to add additional crew later this coming week if things go as planned.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods Seeding
So the package to seed the tank with a mix of live copepods came in today from Algaebarn. I got the 5280 pods and phytoplankton combo. I also got 5 ORA cerith snails to help with algae maintenance.

Here's a shot of the items before introducing things into the tank.
IMG_20170628_204704v1.jpg

Fish Additions: Pair of Frostbit Clowns and Banggai Cardinal
This passed weekend I added 1 banggai cardinal fish from the LFS.

Today I transferred my pair frostbite clowns from the 13G to here. Since I hand feed the pair, transferring the two only took 15 seconds. While I was feeding them, I just scooped them up with a net and before they knew what had happened, they were already placed to the other tank. Here's a shot of the two and banggai
IMG_20170628_204716v1.jpg

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while as I have been busy so updates and reefing activities have been limited. There are a number of additions (or transfer from Evo 13G) of both fish and corals. Here are a few shots.

IMG_20170716_172915-2.jpg

IMG_20170716_173429-2.jpg

IMG_20170716_173042-3.jpg

IMG_20170716_173030-2.jpg

IMG_20170716_173021-2.jpg

IMG_20170716_173109-2.jpg

IMG_20170716_173229-2.jpg

IMG_20170716_173408-2.jpg

IMG_20170716_174005-2.jpg

IMG_20170716_174155-2.jpg

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your little yasha goby? Trying to decide what goby/shrimp pair I'd like to add to the new tank and those ones are super colorful. But I hear they're extra shy.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your little yasha goby? Trying to decide what goby/shrimp pair I'd like to add to the new tank and those ones are super colorful. But I hear they're extra shy.

It's definitely unique, colorful and shy but do come out for feeding and occasional walk around it's burrow. This one is captive-bred. I am keeping it "single". Based on the 13G experience, I am not adding a pistol shrimp or looking to pairing them up. For me, it's a constant pain to have to move coral frags or unburied coral frags because the shrimp may decide to remodel ever so often. I think if I had a larger tank with more real estate, I would have a different feeling.

The shyest fish in this tank is the Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse.

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely unique, colorful and shy but do come out for feeding and occasional walk around it's burrow. This one is captive-bred. I am keeping it "single". Based on the 13G experience, I am not adding a pistol shrimp or looking to pairing them up. For me, it's a constant pain to have to move coral frags or unburied coral frags because the shrimp may decide to remodel ever so often. I think if I had a larger tank with more real estate, I would have a different feeling.

The shyest fish in this tank is the Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse.
Where'd you get a captive bred one from? I'd love to keep as much of the livestock in my tank captive bred/tank raised as possible.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where'd you get a captive bred one from? I'd love to keep as much of the livestock in my tank captive bred/tank raised as possible.
liveaquaria.com

I got the Yasha goby, Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse and spot tail blenny from them.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil AP700 + Major Diffusion Optical Kit ;Joyful
So I've made an "executive" decision and bite the bullet and go with Kessil AP700.

Why? I already have A360WE

My rational ;Facepalm
  • Shadowing effect. I have the A360WE also on the 13G nano and over the last 7 months have seen the effect of shadowing on LPS and SPS from the growth patterns. Having more than 1 light source closer together will help eliminate this from what I understand.
  • Future proof. I wanted something that could grow with me. I still have a 210G RR sitting dry :eek: (10 yrs. running...)
  • A360WE would run 1/2 the cost anyway

Order has been placed so I am looking forward to putting this in and NOT FRIED the corals ;Nailbiting.

LPS / SPS Corals
For the past few weekends I have started slowing moving over a number of LPS and SPS corals from the 13G nano. In addition I purchased a few additional frags. Will post a few pics later this week as time permit.

With the number of additions, the new lighting will help eliminate the need to place high lighting frags around a central area...instead I will be able to place them more across the tank.

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil AP700 + Major Diffusion Optical Kit ;Joyful
So I've made an "executive" decision and bite the bullet and go with Kessil AP700.

Why? I already have A360WE

My rational ;Facepalm
  • Shadowing effect. I have the A360WE also on the 13G nano and over the last 7 months have seen the effect of shadowing on LPS and SPS from the growth patterns. Having more than 1 light source closer together will help eliminate this from what I understand.
  • Future proof. I wanted something that could grow with me. I still have a 210G RR sitting dry :eek: (10 yrs. running...)
  • A360WE would run 1/2 the cost anyway

Order has been placed so I am looking forward to putting this in and NOT FRIED the corals ;Nailbiting.

LPS / SPS Corals
For the past few weekends I have started slowing moving over a number of LPS and SPS corals from the 13G nano. In addition I purchased a few additional frags. Will post a few pics later this week as time permit.

With the number of additions, the new lighting will help eliminate the need to place high lighting frags around a central area...instead I will be able to place them more across the tank.
Oooooh, you'll have to let me know how you like it. It's on the short list for my new 66 gallon. Saw one in person at my LFS last weekend. Much more compact than I expected! I will probably stick with AI since I've got a schedule that's been working really well for me, but that AP700 is a slick lookin' light.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back