Reef safe and red algae eating urchin suggestions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vidofner
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Vidofner

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 13, 2013
Messages
89
Reaction score
63
Location
Sweden
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get rid of my red red cotton algae and i would rather not use Naso tangs due to their size. Im guessing an urchin would do the job but im also open to suggestion to other animals that could help and are reef safe.
Suggestions for species i could get would be highly appreciated :).

Also, i cant have foxface and stuff like that, thats to poisonous as i have curious cats

Thanks in advance :)
 
Urchins are great but they love knocking corals off. Tuxedo is probably the closest to reef safe I would go for.
 
Normal stuff, emerald crabs, rabbit fish maybe (blue spot). I've never had cotton algae. Also, urchin would probably just spread it around.
 
I had a small amount show up from a frag - mexican turbo snail cleaned it right up.
 
cowrie's, mexican turbo snails and some tuxedos. Just be mindful, once the job is done, you'll need to rehome most of them. I'd look into why you have this problem though, water? phosphates? overfeeding? bad lighting? etc

good luck
 
Tbh it could also be som other type of red algae that has been on the rock since i got it. My nitrate is at 0 and phosfates at 0.03 and my lightning is a pacific sun hyperion led fixture so i doubt those factor have any effect. Ill order some mexican turbos and cowies and hope for the best
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new