Reef Safe Angelfish

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it’s not the most spectacularly colored Angelfish, the Lamarck’s Angel is completely reef-safe. What makes this fish attractive to me is the way its body picks up the actinic lighting and gives it a silver/blue appearance. This provides a nice contrast to the other colors in the reef.

It has been quite peaceful to the other fish inhabitants, but will occasionally assert its dominance over the female. Most likely would be a good idea to have at least a 55-Gallon tank to comfortably house an adult.

Notice the yellow area on the head denoting a male.

Lamarcks-Angelfish-Male.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, it's different, but in the same genus, Genicanthus sp. they are planktivores, eating out of the water column and don't eat coral

i had a pretty one a while back before a tank overheating.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I wasn't sure if that was the female of the one Nikon posted...I have seen a few of those locally.

OP
OP
Nikon_Guy

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Japanese swallowtail is a bit prettier than the Lamarcks, but alas, wasn't able to find a pair locally.

My intention when adding this pair was to provide another natural food source to the reef. Currently, there is a pair of True Perc’s laying about every 15 days, a pair of skunk shrimp and now the pair of Lamarcks. My thinking is that when the fry hatch it provides an excellent (and FREE) food source for all the inhabitants.

Any thoughts on this?

Here is a picture of the female.

Lamarcks-Angelfishfem.jpg

illcssd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish,
Another reef safe angel i love, especially in pairs, is wantanabe's angelfish. The pair in my 210 is amazing.

Back