Reef safe cave dwellers/perching fish

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a colorful reef safe cave swimmer, mostly have middle to top swimming fish right now. Any suggestions are appreciated. Tank is 75g

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle blennys are small and not colourful. But boy do they make up for it in personality. One of my favourite fish I’ve ever kept. they can be kept in groups as well

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Starry blenny, definitely recommend. Lots of attitude.

1706198482824.png

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A biota marine betta is a really cool addition. They like caves and hanging out in the darker spaces of the tank but mine is always visible somewhat. They're very slow growers and come from biota at like 3/4 in long so you'll have a lot of time for it in the 75. For example, mine is well over a year old, eats multiple frozen mysis daily and is maybe an inch long now.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a longnosed hawkfish and he seems to leave my shrimps and crabs alone. Only shrimps I would worry about are small sexy shrimps.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A biota marine betta is a really cool addition. They like caves and hanging out in the darker spaces of the tank but mine is always visible somewhat. They're very slow growers and come from biota at like 3/4 in long so you'll have a lot of time for it in the 75. For example, mine is well over a year old, eats multiple frozen mysis daily and is maybe an inch long now.
Agree 100% Ive had mine close to a year. Mine isnt a biota but I love him. They are more nocturnal but mine has adapted to the light schedule and will come out for a regular swim and food otherwise he sits under his shelf like this!

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3642.jpeg
    IMG_3642.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted one but I was afraid of it out growing my tank. I do plan to. Upgrade eventually but I think I'll get one of these guys for sure.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted one but I was afraid of it out growing my tank. I do plan to. Upgrade eventually but I think I'll get one of these guys for sure.
They really are not too active. Mine was in my 70 gallon for a while no issues until I moved him due to a heat malfunction. He has only gotten maybe a centimeter bigger, he is about the same size when he came. His body is about 3 inches not including his long fins

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these guys leave small fish and inverts alone?

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these guys leave small fish and inverts alone?
They do if they're adequately fed. Being captive bred, they have less of a problem needing live food so frozen mysis is the trick for me. It'll also take years before they are big enough to even fit a fin of a small fish in their mouth. Everything I have read basically says as long as you don't have sexy shrimp or an 8in betta with neon gobies in a 40-gallon tank, you'll most likely be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back