Reef Safe Bulk Polyester filter rolls......

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a reef safe version of these filter rolls. These have "dry tackifiers" which I assume is not good. https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/4302853

I am guessing that non-treated versions can be found? I know for example that WWC uses a reef safe version of these filter rolls. Any help would be appreciated. Disclaimer I already have looked up the rolls on amazon, those are pretty small rolls, I am looking for a 90ft roll.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to know as well. I bought some dual density filters from Amazon but even when I rinse the heck out of it, my skimmer still goes nuts for a while using it. Would be nice to find some non treated version.

My next choice is the stuff they use for pillows and cushions available at Walmart... not ideal but should work.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to know as well. I bought some dual density filters from Amazon but even when I rinse the heck out of it, my skimmer still goes nuts for a while using it. Would be nice to find some non treated version.

My next choice is the stuff they use for pillows and cushions available at Walmart... not ideal but should work.

My skimmer goes nuts for a couple minutes when I start a new roll of filter roll (Klir 7). I don’t see it act up when I advance it when it’s been on there and is wet.

It also used to go nuts when I added a new dry sock when I used those. The skimmer would also act up a bit with a cleaned and dryed filter sock. If I thoroughly rinsed them ahead of time, it reduced it enough so I didn’t need to turn the skimmer off for a few minutes.

I’m not saying it those additives mentioned are are reef safe, but even reef specific products effected my skimmer when first added.

Also, I used the poly fill from Walmart for years with zero issues.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 micron is suggested for Lanthanum Chloride use. I can get about 5 days out of 50 micron cloth if that helps but I think it will be a trial & error situation to find the best for your individual tank.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be careful picking filler out of Walmart’s or any fabric store as some manufacturers use bleach and other chemicals . Not saying that you won’t find a good one just try to find out as much as you can of the manufacturing process . If it’s out of the country that could make it difficult . I would stick to the media that is explicitly for the fish , fish farm industry which is also a good place to look . Florida has a lot of fish farms . Hope that helps

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back