Reef safe material for egg collection

xdcbenoitxd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up my new aquarium and was hoping to harvest eggs and hatch them after spawning. Also I want to be able to build a contraption to protect my conch or other invertebrate eggs should they reproduce. Now this leaves me with 2 issues. I have a tall overflow box spanning the height of the tank with 3 separate weirs, the second is that this will be a reef tank. So what type of mesh and materials could I use to cover the weirs to collect the eggs (I was thinking maybe mesh with the use of magnets) and what type of mesh and materials could I use to cover any invertebrate eggs that may be stuck to the glass or reef to protect the eggs frim being eaten by fish. Any ideas would be appreciated.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are you attempting to breed? Spawning habits are different for each.

Example, clowns can successfully spawn on items such as terracotta pots

OP
OP
X

xdcbenoitxd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are you attempting to breed? Spawning habits are different for each.

Example, clowns can successfully spawn on items such as terracotta pots

I do no have a specific specie in mind. I am aware of different laying methods. This would be for free floating eggs.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vosson larval trap is good. If you know fish eggs will be hatching you can just turn off your return pump until you collect the eggs. Clowns for example spawn in a predictable pattern so you can be relatively certain of the hatch day if you are paying attention. Anything fine enough to not allow eggs or larvae through would seriously decrease your flow and probably isn’t something you want the majority of the time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back