Reef safe, peaceful schooling fish?

jbrady429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are there any reef-safe, peaceful, schooling fish suitable for high-flow sps tanks? Green chromis are supposed to be, but turn out to be canabalistic monsters. Even pajama cardinals turn out to be fight-to-the-death murderers! You start with a group of fish and end up with one. Are there any well-behaved schooling fish out there for the reef tank?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any reef-safe, peaceful, schooling fish suitable for high-flow sps tanks? Green chromis are supposed to be, but turn out to be canabalistic monsters. Even pajama cardinals turn out to be fight-to-the-death murderers! You start with a group of fish and end up with one. Are there any well-behaved schooling fish out there for the reef tank?
I think you are going to find that some people will say this works while others say they won't. In the ocean their r so many that you really can't tell whether they behave or not. I think its just luck of the draw. So far I have some blue green chromis and they are cool, but I suspect that in time this may change.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that if you buy larger green chromis, they do a bit better than the smaller ones. I bought 21 to end up with 13, but those 13 have been stable for a while. We just added 4 Lyretail anthias with them and they hang out together a lot. Great mix of colors.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it can depend on the setup as well as how many fish you are dealing with. By that I mean there is a big difference between 3 green chromis in a 125 and a dozen in a 240. I suppose you could always acclimate some pseudomugil signifer to reef salinity and they would be perfectly happy and would shoal without killing each other. Just not sure how well they would do in a super high flow sps setup.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back