"Reef safe" predatory fish ?

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering can i add a dwarf lionfish(fuzzy, etc) and a leaf fish for my reef tank ?
my smallest fish currently are a splendid dottyback which is about 1.5inch and i'd like to hear if this will work out

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering can i add a dwarf lionfish(fuzzy, etc) and a leaf fish for my reef tank ?
my smallest fish currently are a splendid dottyback which is about 1.5inch and i'd like to hear if this will work out
It certainly will...for the lionfish. If a fish can fit in the lionfish's mouth (and they have big mouths), it's potentially a meal.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No! A predatory fish is in the name and not reef-safe for a reason! If it fits in their mouths or is an invert then it’s a yummy snack. Predatory and non-reef safe fish includes lionfish, puffers, triggers, many wrasses, and most angelfish. Think of it like a dog or wolf with a high-prey drive and hunting instinct!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered the same thing when I started, l love lionfish!! But doing research they wont work with small inverts or fish they can eat. Lions wont touch corals, your dottyback may be eaten if the lion can catch it or it messes with the lion as dottybacks tend to do. You may want to look at a marine betta (comet grouper). Beautiful fish, and while technically a predator its less apt to eat fish and inverts if well fed. It prefers to hide and stick its bum out (which happens to look like a morey eel). I dont have one but when I upgrade my tank to a larger tank thats first on the list for me. With Most of the research Ive done this fish is very peaceful and wont bother tank mates or inverts (may mess with shrimps Ive seen) if they are well fed. Will not mess with corals either.

Attachments

• 93A536D4-B83E-4580-AD70-14B5DCC6914F.png
    93A536D4-B83E-4580-AD70-14B5DCC6914F.png
    770.9 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you. this seems like a really good candidate

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i have found my best bet
they are local here but not by any mean popular at all.
plesiops oxycephalus
1679203053602.png

hes at my friends house and wild collected. beautiful fish

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a dwarf for a short time be careful where you source from if put in copper can kill them months later from liver or kidney.

go read lion kings threads in here first, dwarfs are particularly hard to keep

Was insanely cool when I had one perching from spot to spot waiting to eat but decided not to go with a second after I had my last one died.

the bigger ones I believe are ok on frozen only but the dwarves need live.

as far as reef safe didn’t mess with corals or clams or snails or hermits. Didn’t have anything smaller than a leopard wrasse in tank though and she was 4 inches.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back